Question on what to do with lease TDI now

Spoolin'Jim

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, Pkg. 1, White
Hi everyone,

So, the wife has a 2013 Beetle TDI convertible that the lease is up in August of this year. We were planning to simply buy the lease out at the end and keep driving it, but then Diesel Gate happened. I've read over the info I can find on the buy back and such, but it seems that unless you owned (not leased) your car before June 28th 2016 you will only be entitled to about 50% of the compensation owners will get. I've also seen that you will have your lease terminated no charge, but by the time this all gets settled, I'll be out of lease anyways. What I'm wondering is, can anyone shed some light on what would happen if I still went ahead and purchased my car at the end of lease? I hate to buy the car, then only get the lease compensation and be stuck with a car that I can't sell, or can at a great loss. If I were to get the buyback amount for it, then it would make sense to do it, but I haven't found any information for or against that idea.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
It seems to me that if you own the car, you would be entitled to the buyout. Here is the number I have for the 2013 Beetle: @ $21,497. Just remember, you don't have to accept the purchase price that is written in the lease. Make an offer. If they accept, keep the car and take the any additional money offered.

computerman3333

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Make an offer...... I did not know they would even consider less than my agreed residual. I want to buy may 2013 Passat but the residual is $15,300. I would love to offer $12,000. But though the residual was firm.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Hi everyone,

So, the wife has a 2013 Beetle TDI convertible that the lease is up in August of this year. We were planning to simply buy the lease out at the end and keep driving it, but then Diesel Gate happened. I've read over the info I can find on the buy back and such, but it seems that unless you owned (not leased) your car before June 28th 2016 you will only be entitled to about 50% of the compensation owners will get. I've also seen that you will have your lease terminated no charge, but by the time this all gets settled, I'll be out of lease anyways. What I'm wondering is, can anyone shed some light on what would happen if I still went ahead and purchased my car at the end of lease? I hate to buy the car, then only get the lease compensation and be stuck with a car that I can't sell, or can at a great loss. If I were to get the buyback amount for it, then it would make sense to do it, but I haven't found any information for or against that idea.
This scenario is already detailed in the CAS settlement docs. If you buy out the lease, you are still just an eligible lessee, you cannot become an eligible owner on the car, and get the buyout.

from 2.30:
except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016, shall be an Eligible Lessee.

Spoolin'Jim

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, Pkg. 1, White
Thank you autdi, I did not see that mentioned anywhere.

What would I end up with then if I did still buy the car at the end of the lease? I'm thinking just a free fix or sell it privately? Can we not have them fixed? With how rare TDI will become after all this, I wonder if I should buy it and hope, or just walk away and be happy I get anything at all. The lease buyout is ~17k on my Beetle, if that makes a difference.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you autdi, I did not see that mentioned anywhere.

What would I end up with then if I did still buy the car at the end of the lease? I'm thinking just a free fix or sell it privately? Can we not have them fixed? With how rare TDI will become after all this, I wonder if I should buy it and hope, or just walk away and be happy I get anything at all. The lease buyout is ~17k on my Beetle, if that makes a difference.
Do you like it, would you want it anyway, you could put the 3,300 towards anything, would you still get it? Those you have to answer yourself. You are technically overpaying for the car as it sits, but if you want that car, to get it you have to buy out the lease, or it likely gets on a truck to go get fixed somewhere, I doubt you can buy it off the used lot immediately were you to return it, then buy retail from the dealer.

Mrszippy

TDI
2014 Jetta, 2014 Beetle
One of my TDIs is a lease, but not through VW Credit. It expires in March of 2018. What position does that put me in? Lessee or owner if I buy the vehicle?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
One of my TDIs is a lease, but not through VW Credit. It expires in March of 2018. What position does that put me in? Lessee or owner if I buy the vehicle?
You would be an owner since you bought the vehicle from another owner, not VW Leasing. Those that have VW owned leases cannot become owners.

However, it all depends on the terms of your lease how much you have to turn over to buy the car out, don't expect the leasing company to give up the extra free cash without making you work for it.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
No way I would be paying that kind of doh on a used beetle right now. If you want another tdi you'll be able to get one soon after the dust settles. Heck you can probably find a newer lower miles car for cheaper through private party right now since they are quite devalued.

SemperFido

TDI
2010 Audio Q7 Prestige 3.0 TDI
You could always buy it from them and then sell it to your wife and have her be the owner making her the eligible owner. Not legal advice but worth looking into. Or have her sell it to you if its in her name.

ujames

TDI
YES
Anyone (that wasn't the lessee) buy a former leased TDI and had success in getting buyback?