Tire wear?

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
My rear tires are wearing on the outsides only. The side of the tire away from the passenger compartment. The insides of the tire toward the passenger compartment are wearing normaly. This is also only happening on the rear tires.

My question is what could cause this?
Too much camber?
I thought maybe I should get it aligned but after reading bently it says that camber is not adjustable along with almost every other tire aligment.
So if its not adjustable what the heck do these alignments do?
It says it has to be slightly adjusted by bumping the sub-frame?
What the heck does that mean?

DaveGaunt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Blue
hi garnet,

Camber is rarely a problem on street driven tires. As an example remember the old VW beetles with thier excessive negative camber and not significant outer edge wear.

TOE is what wears the edges of tires. You should have this checked. Often there a re aftermarket solutions for supposedly unadjustable rear ends--eg: eccentric bolts or wedges, etc. I suggest you get the car on a rack, get a printout of what is going on and then look for aftermarket solutions, if and as required.

Hope this helps.

quicksilver

TDI
03 Jetta GL TDI Silver
Just out of curiosity, which tires are they? Mine have also worn pretty badly, but I'm hoping to hold off on replacing them until summer. If not for regular rotation, they probably would have been toast long ago!