Balance shaft delete. How to and part numbers

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI
what did you use as a plug? It also looks like you used jbweld or some sort of metal epoxy stuff to seal it. would a standard thread sealer or locker not suffice?

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
I used an 1/8 inch brass allen head pipe plug and some jb for added measure of safety. Keep in mind this was the second time we had to take the oil pan off on this one. Removing the oil pan on a passat is not as fun as a MK4.
I know it's overkill, just didn't want to worry about it down the road. Figured if someone eventually wanted to put balance shafts back on they could easily drill it back out.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
These are the spring washers I was talking about: This is an ALH/BEW oil pump dig. #5

The tapping of the hole was not that simple. The oil hole is 5/16 starting out which is normally what you use for an 1/8 inch pipe tap but I ended up using an 11/32 drill bit and drill it pretty far (about 2.5 inches) with an air drill in order to tap it far enough and have the plug be flush and avoid breaking the tap.
One of these socket tap adapters is needed as the regular tap tools won't clear (I got away with pounding a 1/2in drive 10mm socket on the end of the tap with an extension in a pinch) :
Weird, I've torn apart upwards of 50 ALH's and NEVER seen those spring washers before. That's new to me haha.

Cool, I was worried the hole would be oversize and you wouldn't be able to get an 1/8" pipe tap in there. Dude, you need a set of these! Best $65 you'll spend in a long time http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675369&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow !!!! I could have used that socket set more than once in the past... gonna buy it asap lol :) thanks for the heads up

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
This is obviously another tremendous contribution from innovative group members. But I don't know how to feel about this since I did my BSM replacement about 85k ago:

Like a sucker for not skating along until the cheaper option emerged or wise for taking the safe course at the time because the likelihood of getting to 175k with a chain-driven unit intact was so low?

Fretful that gear-driven BSMs are still occasionally stripping the oil pump hex shaft? How many reported cases are there? Should I start accumulating BSM delete parts?

Could someone kindly direct me to the thread where the BSM delete emerged? I searched on BSM delete and only found two threads. Thanks. I think.

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
just kind of wondering the importance or reason that the smaller BRM cog/higher oil pressure mod is recommended. what difference in psi will this show vs stock alh pump and vs stock bhw?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the oil pressure will be limited by the relief valve which is bhw stock. its possible that the pressure at idle may be different, possibly higher

ethelene

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Is this change something my guru Justin Grow (oldpoopie) could do in Portland? My 05 passat is at 70k and I have been dragging my feet on the BSM replacement. Great piece of ingenuity here.

Brad

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Is this change something my guru Justin Grow (oldpoopie) could do in Portland?
Justin can do anything on these cars! Whether he wants to do this type of mod is up to him... If he doesn't, I'm sure that Rich at FixUmHaus can step in...

You're well served, TDI-wise, up in Portland!!!

Yuri

Whitbread

TDI
Several
just kind of wondering the importance or reason that the smaller BRM cog/higher oil pressure mod is recommended. what difference in psi will this show vs stock alh pump and vs stock bhw?
You get more oil pressure at low rpms. VW changed it on the BRM's for one reason or another. Since the BHW is basically the same motor/cam setup, higher oil flow/pressure can't hurt at all at low rpms. Should help oiling for the cam if nothing else.

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Works for me! Thanks :)
You get more oil pressure at low rpms. VW changed it on the BRM's for one reason or another. Since the BHW is basically the same motor/cam setup, higher oil flow/pressure can't hurt at all at low rpms. Should help oiling for the cam if nothing else.

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
what difference in psi will this show vs stock alh pump and vs stock bhw?
Stock ALH/BEW/BHW I've seen 35-42 psi at idle. With the BRM cog & chain improved cold start with 68psi initial start up & 50psi warm at idle. Yes this is also a good mod for the ALH/BEW & probably the 1.8t's.
PSI cold:

ethelene said:
Is this change something my guru Justin Grow (oldpoopie) could do in Portland?
Poopie said he's into doing it.

Aaron/Bora parts has a complete kit listed now:
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1005&osCsid=rlr6uia6rkiphkus8arqeblt63

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Justin can do anything on these cars! Whether he wants to do this type of mod is up to him... If he doesn't, I'm sure that Rich at FixUmHaus can step in...

You're well served, TDI-wise, up in Portland!!!

Yuri

My only limiting factor right now is time. Full time job, plus full time student, means the car work is getting the leftovers of my time.

Im booked out to mid june already.

I graduate this semester though, so things should get easier soon!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
How the HELL do you not hear this before it happens?

Also, this is by far the nastiest passat I've ever worked on. How the heck do you let it get this bad?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Matt, With the obvious signs of complete lack of attention that car in the pics had, I'd be greatly surprised if you don't determine that it will be the short block route rather than just the oil pump conversion. everything in there must have suffered from this neglect, rings, bearings, crank? etc. We used to refer to that as the "American way"....drive it until it stops. Bet the trans isn't much better unless its already been replaced.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Matt, With the obvious signs of complete lack of attention that car in the pics had, I'd be greatly surprised if you don't determine that it will be the short block route rather than just the oil pump conversion. everything in there must have suffered from this neglect, rings, bearings, crank? etc. We used to refer to that as the "American way"....drive it until it stops. Bet the trans isn't much better unless its already been replaced.
No short block for this guy. Quite frankly I don't have the funds for it and believe it or not, the cylinder bores look fantastic.

I ended up pulling the motor and trans out last night. I was going to put all new bearings in the bottom end just to be safe, turns out good thing I planned on it. The #3 main journal has aluminum lightly smeared on it. So out everything came and crank is sitting on my bench awaiting a trip to the machine shop for polishing. Figure I'll see how soon Eriksson can get me a reman tq converter just in case also since it's in front of my face. The trans fluid itself didn't look that bad, like any other I've seen.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Matt, you may have to send them the tc. they'll turn it around in a day.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its my understanding that there are no undersize bearings available for the bhw so I hope the crank cleans up to spec and none of the rod or main journals have worn beyond tolerance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've got one here right now that sounds like it is going to 'splode any second... guy had no clue (it is here for another reason).

Had one last week that drove in from Michigan, 190k miles, and the tensioner was already broken in 4 pieces and looked to have been that way for some time... amazing it was still holding together. One of the worst I've seen that was still able to run.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All the clueless will most likely find that their unit jackpots at some point, some sooner than later. Even if VAG had sent out an advisory letter to known owners, some still would have ignored the warning.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Good news is, these cars are now getting cheap because of, ironically, cheap people... LOL! Nothing like buying a $28k car for $1500! :D