Drag Racing project?

EMcBride

Hello fellow diesel owners,
I have researched briefly on this forum to see if there is anyone out there "playing" with their toys. It seems unavoidable that we must take our perfectly running diesels, and be able to out run any gasser that gets in our path.
My colleague and I are looking into starting a diesel drag racing association. This will start off slow, but we plan on one day having a circuit. The Association will encompass all diesels, from you folks to the big rigs. The light duty pickup diesel market is growing so large and we have many our there willing to spend the money and time to become professional drag racers. The big rigs already have an association.
So if you are interested, I invite you to post on here what your interest is, what classes you folks would be interested in, and any questions for me. We are currently working on two races for next year, with hopes of four in 2002. Thank you for your time and I apologize if this is not in the appropriate forum.

------------------
1998 Cummins Ram
Eric
GLTDR

M

mickey

You're right...it's not the appropriate section. General Discussion would have been better.

Most of us like to stoplight race, and at last fall's GTG members rented a track and ran 1/8 mile drags. The quickest TDI in the forum was able to keep up with a modified VR6 in the 1/8 mile, but in the 1/4 mile it would have been no contest. Diesels, no matter how souped up, are poorly suited to drag race against anything except other diesels.

A few members have had amazing success in autocross racing, though, since the short straights play into the TDIs strength: Low end torque!

-mickey

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
I beg to differ there me old fella,i raced my tdi mk1 golf 4 3years 2 seconds and a third in the championships.i was the only diesel drinker,and it was against some sorted air cooled dubs.14.4 quarter 98mph

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This sounds like a "Special Project" to me! Just because it isn't about the Evil Beetle...

It sounds like a fun idea to me. It'd be nice to organize some sort of road rally using curvey mountain roads. Then we'd beat the crap out'a the gassers.

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

EMcBride

Sorry about the mispost, our forums aren't near as tidy as yours are. Very impressive site!!
I am referring to each of you competing against each other and other diesel cars for money.
Not to many 7000lb trucks can break any speed records, but we are seeing the better side of 12-13 second runs. With this, many "competitors" are coming into the picture with no association behind them.
We want to provide the drag racers with sanctioned events so they can race for money.

If long, windy, hilly races are what you are looking for or 1/8 mile drags, then that's what we will do. We are just getting ideas for the association right now.
Thanks for your replys and keep them coming.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This just sounds like too much fun.

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)