VCDS or Not to VCDS, THAT IS THE QUESTION

BRADFORDKO

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I own a 2004 Golf TDI (BEW) Engine code.

I just finished replacing my timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner. I got the deluxe kit from Dieselgeeks http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/StoreFront

Car runs great. It took me almost 8 hrs due to hot weather working outside. My question is must I set the timing or not. I do not own the VCDS software.

Ross-Tech web site seems to state that if I own a 1.9 PD engine the timing is determined electronically.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html
Near bottom of the page it says this:

Note to 1.9 PD (pumpe duese aka unit injectors) and CR (common rail) owners: The timing in PD and CR engines is determined electronically by the ECU. There is neither a need nor an ability to check timing on the PD or CR engines using VAG-COM.. There are no graphs published for the simple reason that the timing is set using a dedicated VAG locking tool when changing the timing belt :)

So, should I check timing or attempt to adjust with VCDS? I beleive my mileage has gone down slightly, but working on my second tank after the timing belt change and will know better this tank.

Ken
Plattsmouth, NE
2004 Golf TDI

travism

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If it was in time before and you did everything mechanically correct then you are good to go. Just find a vag-com around you and have someone check it. You'll know if its not in time.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
If you happen to come across one, you can check engine measuring group 004 value 4 (torsion angle). It should be as close to 0 as possible. The angle represents the cam and crankshaft positions relative to each other.

BRADFORDKO

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I scanned it with VCDS lite:

Group 4: 903rpm 4.0 btdc 6.6 idle stab 0.5 Idle Stab
item 1 item 2 item 3 item 4

I read that 0.5 is not too high to be concerned.

What do you think.

Ken