2004 Passat TDi - Engine Lite On -"Emissions Workshop"

fitforever

TDI
2004 Passat, 2002 Jetta Wagon
My car has 106K miles and has a new timing belt. The orange engine lite showed up today and this message "Emissions Workshop". What does this mean. Is it safe to keep running the car. Thanks.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hard to give you much advice without more info from you to go on.

The MIL and the Emissions Workshop warning mean that a trouble code is stored in the ECU. It can point to any number of possible problems with sensors, air leaks, fuel delivery issues, turbo control system malfunctions, etc. You need to get the code read (most auto parts stores will do it for free) and report it here -- once we have that information we will be better able to assist you. Any guess based on what you have posted so far alone would be a shot in the dark.

fitforever

TDI
Glow Plug #2 Bad

Auto Zone hooked up to my car and it is the #2 Glow Plug. And this is a product they do not carry. I believe I have 4 of these plugs. Can i run the car with one of the 4 plugs not working. I would like to replace all the plugs when I get my car serviced by VW DUB in Plano Texas. They did a great job changing my timing belt in 2010.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if you go to the dealer, they will replace all 4 gp's and upgrade your car's software for free under the latest recall.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It's also OK to run the car with the glow plug out. I ran for a few months here in Texas with them totally disconnected. It's 80+ F here, remember?

fitforever

TDI
A GP Recall for my 04 Passat.

I will call my dealer on Monday about this recall and see what they say. Thanks everyone.

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
I will call my dealer on Monday about this recall and see what they say. Thanks everyone.
I recently had the very same problem with my Passat TDI. It was #3 GP that had gone out. The dealer replaced all 4 GP's under the recall since I had gotten a letter from VW earlier. No cost to me.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
I also got the message today. It says cylinder 4 glow plug circuit (Q13): Electrical fault P0674 Intermittent

Does this sound like the plug? If it was the harness, it would say so?

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Latest glow plug recall will rectify the emission workshop glow plug related circuit issue. I had my light on for quite a while now, but since the car ran 100% fine with that light on anyways, I figured this was a classic example of why fix something when it's not really broken. More realistically, I figured I'd wait until VW came out with a new glow plug recall campaign. Well I did, and they did come out with one, and it was all well worth the wait if you ask me. Recall done, CEL light out, car runs like a champ.

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Variant, 01 Golf TDI 4-dr
My latest 'Emissions Workshop' light was caused by an EGR hose with a leak in it. Replaced it and my MPG went up 4-5 easily on the freeway. I now see 40mpg regularly whereas before it was a struggle...if ever.

tunderdiesel

TDI
sw passat 2.0 tdi
i had the same quote from the scanner or computer board an it was a leak on the vacum lines, check the vacum lines for leak
passat 2005 tdi sw

TomatoPie

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 Gray
You guys are a fountain of useful info. "Emissions workshop!" warning just began in my 2005 TDI with 120k on it. I've postponed the glow plug recall, sounds like the right time to get this thing fixed for free!