Who is Craigslist ?

Audi_Diesel

TDI
None
I have recently been looking on the internet for information on used TDI diesels and keep seeing Craigslist ads from different states in various formats and addresses. Is this guy a broker or car salesman somewhere ? I have also noticed that he has pulled some of his ads once the members of your TDI Club started looking at his vehicles too closely ?

Does this Audi Turbo Diesel sale-246928197@craigslist.org sound too good to be true for the price ? I realize that this is not a newer TDI design but everything on the car is presented as new (engine, trans, injector pump, turbo, rack and pinion...etc).

Here is one posting from Craigslist warning about vehicle scams -
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

I also received an email from Wetsalem88@netscape.com after I responded to one of the Craigslist vehicles. Has anyone had any good or bad dealings with either of these people ?

Please do not take this wrong. We are actually interested in a TDI vehicle and do not mind driving some to make a purchase but I do not want to waste my time and effort with a potential problem situation going into a deal.

Although there is a good selection of new and used TDI cars around the Dallas area, the attitude of most salesman is pretty arrogant. This demeanor is especially true from the authorized Volkswagen/Audi dealers who feel they have a lock on the TDI market. Although I do not prefer a car from the orient we are now looking pretty hard at the Honda vehicles.

Thanks for your help,

Jeraass

TDI
Jetta
Craigslist is just an online forum where people can post their products for sale. It's also much more than that if you get into it, such as discussion boards and personals. But for most intents and purposes, it's a giant online classifieds board. The difference from an ebay auction is Craigslist is focused more on local sales. This way you can find someone selling something you want close by and can go look at it first to make sure it's legit. You can then complete the transaction with cash, something you can't do over the internet.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Use extreme caution when "buying" a TDI on craigslist! Never transfer money as deposit to anyone you can not verify as a dealer. You could easly lose your money. There have been all kinds of VW TDI scams on craigslist. When I say scams, I mean people selling cars that they don't own. You give them the money and get nothing. And your money ends up who knows where. Becareful on E-bay, too.

If you are serious about buying a used TDI, take time to read the following thread. Just follow the link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=708161

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Craigslist has basically replaced the local newspaper to sell items. You can easily buy/sell a couch on craig's or a pair of skis or some snow tires on rims.

Things that have some value, but you need to see them to buy or would be too expensive to ship around.

I bought a desk for $100, a nice glass TV stand for $50 and sold my kids little pool table in 1 day.

Get the idea?

And when you respond to a craig ad, it masks the real seller's email and forwards you email to them. That way, the seller's email address is not displayed for every spammer to collect. That is why you got that email response from a "non-craig's" email address. It was the real seller's email address since the craig's system forwarded your question to them.

speakerboy

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now :'(
You could always keep an eye on the classifieds here and look to purchase from a reputable dealer such as Harvieux or others...