How long is a "long" crank time?

Bill1975

TDI
2011 A3 CBEA
Im a new TDI owner, so I'm still learning the ropes. I have a 2011 A3 with 89000 miles, I just purchased it two days ago.

So far the car is great, however this morning I started the car after it sat over night. The motor cranked for 2-3 seconds before starting. Not terribly long, but longer than I'm used to. I then saw the "Diagnose Dan" video where he replaced a faulty VVT unit that was causing a long crank time on a cold start. I'm not sure if this is the same issue, or just a glitch. I occasionally got random, long ish cranks on my gas cars even with a good battery. It's hard for me to know how long a long crank is.

Also, according the the manual, I need to turn the key without starting the car and letting the glow plug light go out before starting. I generally forget to do this as I'm not used to it. Not sure how critical it is since temperature is here are in the 60s or 70s.

G-Lab

TDI
AWX+++
VVT unit in TDI? Not yet
it should start immediately, half of second, one crankshaft turn is more than enough.
if it takes longer in high temperatures (by high i mean over 10deg celsius) it's usually fuel system allowing air. Is '11 A3 Common rail already in US spec or still PD?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Long crank time? That's a question for your girlfriend

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
5-6 seconds is long. My first TDI, a '99 A4 Jetta took 3 or 4" until I got a tune (fuel remap), then it was one. Cars do vary. A hot engine can be hard starting especially if timing is advanced.

Bill1975

TDI
2011 A3 CBEA
VVT unit in TDI? Not yet
it should start immediately, half of second, one crankshaft turn is more than enough.
if it takes longer in high temperatures (by high i mean over 10deg celsius) it's usually fuel system allowing air. Is '11 A3 Common rail already in US spec or still PD?
10 deg Celsius is 50 Farenheit, so yes it's been above that quite frequently here. And yes, it's a common rail engine. After the first start of the day it fires up immediately

Bill1975

TDI
2011 A3 CBEA
5-6 seconds is long. My first TDI, a '99 A4 Jetta took 3 or 4" until I got a tune (fuel remap), then it was one. Cars do vary. A hot engine can be hard starting especially if timing is advanced.
Ok, I guess I'm not there yet. until I'm comfortable with what is or isn't normal for a new car I tend to be a bit paranoid. I guess several years of VW ownership will do that to a person. [emoji28]

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
IMO, anything less than 3 seconds is perfectly fine but all the TDI's i have ever had was always less than 1, usually fires up on the first rotation of the crank. Even when really cold out, as long as the glow plugs are nice and hot it usually starts within the first 4 rotations of the crank, still under a second.
anything over 5 seconds is a sign of something's not working correctly and i would never crank the starter for longer than 10 seconds with 30 seconds of cool off time between.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
Also, according the the manual, I need to turn the key without starting the car and letting the glow plug light go out before starting. I generally forget to do this as I'm not used to it. Not sure how critical it is since temperature is here are in the 60s or 70s.
I always remember to heat the glow plugs in my '97 Golf, and it usually starts in a couple of seconds. If it's below freezing, I'll cycle the glow plugs a couple of times before starting.

....funny thing- I just got a 2012 Golf Wagon TDI and it is so similar 'feeling' to my wife's 2.5 gas Golf that I've been forgetting to use the glow plugs. Jump in, turn the key.....

With the glow plugs, the car should start in a second or so....one thous...vroom!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
LMAO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It figures that a guy who calls himself red rocket would appreciate that remark At the risk of leaving myself open to questionable comments, I had leaky injectors on my AL H that caused this problem, only when cold. Another set of injectors and it fires immediately. I would be suspicious of a fuel leak somewhere.

Bill1975

TDI
2011 A3 CBEA
Guess I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have a Vag Com but haven't yet scanned it. It took another 2-3 seconds this morning even after the glow plug light went out. Otherwise I'm really happy with how the car is running. Easily hitting 40 mpg on the highway.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Also possible the previous battery replacement was an undersized "gasser" model.

Bill1975

TDI
2011 A3 CBEA
So the last two mornings, I cycled the glow plugs on and off three times, and then it started right away. I read that in the common rail engines simply turning the ignition on does not start the fuel pump so perhaps it had something to do with the temperature of the cylinders.