Problem installing LED Tails/No Fogs on US 2006 Jetta TDI

dieselmani

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MKV
Hello,

I bought a pair of LED Tail Lights (no inner fogs) for my US 2006 Jetta TDI and wanted to install them; they are chinese made. I did the re-wiring on the LEDs themselves, because it's more convenient, at least for me it was, b/c you can do the job in your living room instead of working on the car itself.

I did everything according to instructions posted here
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2289904-DIY-LED-taillight-install-in-Euro-mode
I also do seem to have a similar or the same issue as Member 801 who posted here https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...uro-mode&p=111189441&viewfull=1#post111189441
,but he never posted his fix to the problem; after re-wiring the LEDs my driver's side tail light works fine, but the passenger side doesn't, i.e. the outer ring comes on red instead of amber when using right turn signal.
My wires on the female connectors on the LEDs were originally from left to right:

2 brown wires going to the same left pin, black - second pin from left, yellow - third pin from left and red to the forth last pin. I swapped the inner two wires on the driver's side LED and did the 3&4 pins sliding one down and 2nd pin to the 4th; the two brown wires on first pin stay in same place. Then, I did the coding and I can't get the passenger side LED to flash amber.
My original long code was:
14 01 8E 23 40 04 18 00 00 14 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 28 77 0B 5C.
When I do the re-coding according to instructions (no fog light), I get this:
14 01 8E 21 40 04 18 00 00 0A 00 00 0F 00 00 00 00 2A 55 03 5C.

Thank you for any good input

dieselmani

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MKV
¡eureka!

After hours spent figuring out what's wrong with my re-wiring job on the LEDs themselves, I went back, put the wires on the LED tail lights the way they came, and I just did the re-wire job on the male connectors on the car-just like they explain it in the instructions from vwvortex forum. Then I did the coding and, KA-B-O-O-M, I had amber turn signals with my china made LEDs on my 2006 Jetta TDI in 2020, haha!

So, if you wanna' save time and you aren't an electronics genius, like myself, just follow the instructions from vwvortex. Some people claim, and there even is a video on youtube, that they did the re-wire on the LED Lights, but it didn't work for me, and I got very frustrated apart from loosing two days of my lifetime I'll never get back.