Sway bar bushing replacement 'How to'

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Replaced the sway bar end links (IDParts) on 1996 TDI Passat today. Bushings were in good shape but passenger side end link rubber had completely separated from steel sleeve causing persistent clunkity-clunk over small and large road bumps.

As someone else suggested here, boiling the new end links makes the rubber just pliable enough to wrestle into place. It is a time consuming PITA but the end results of a smooth quiet ride and crisper handling are well worth the toil.

Last edited:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
First off, big thanks to Wingnut for an excellent "How To".
I installed new 23mm polyurethane sway bar bushings on my Jetta yesterday.
When doing the job, I noticed that my drivers side sway bar "shoulder" that the bushing is supposed to slide up to was rusted away to almost nothing, and the passenger side shoulder actual was broken into 2 pieces and fell off completely when doing the bushing removal.
Installed the new bushings without issue and all feels really good during test drives today (the annoying clunk over road expansion joints is completely gone:D).
My question is... Do you think not having any "shoulders" left on the sway bar for the bushings to rest against will cause any issues later, or should I "drive more and worry less"?