Key fob does not lock/unlock car

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I just bought a 2003 Golf TDI. The key blade opens the cars and starts the car just fine. The battery was changed on the key fob, and the red led lights up when any button is pushed.

Now the car does not respond to the key fob. When I lock the car with the key, the alarm does set, but again not with the fob.

How can I test to see if it is a bad fob, or bad signal receiver on the car?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Many auto parts stores have a key fob checker on their front counter. All it will tell you is if the little radio in the key fob is working.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The key fob and the car have to be "trained" to talk to each other, and sometimes they forget, or someone buys a replacement key and never gets around to programming them to talk to each other.

"fob programming" as a search term should bring up a bunch of threads, or you can check out the fob programming instructions here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

You'll need specific software (VCDS) and some hardware to connect your laptop to your car.

Or, a trip to a mechanic or dealer who can do the programming for you. The mechanic will need that specific software- a generic OBD2 diagnostic-type scanner will not be sufficient.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I am assuming that the Fob did work with your car at one time. Since you stated "Now the car does not respond to the key fob"

If so, try this:
Press unlock on the key fob and/or unlock the driver's door from the outside with the key in the lock cylinder. Try pressing unlock on the fob while unlocking car door with key in lock.

Then see if fob works without it being in the lock.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I will try all that, Thanks! I do have the Ross Tech VCDS and the USB interface cable. I will repost when I get more info.