GPI flashing after slowing down from Hwy Speeds?

WetRocks

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Hoping for some insight from the TDI gurus before I give up and just take the buyout...

Short version: GPI & CEL come on only after slowing down after driving highway speeds.

Long version: I have a 2014 JSW TDI with just over 36K miles, no issues whatsoever with the car until last weekend when the Glow Plug Indicator started flashing. I drove for about 15 minutes until I reached my destination, had the car parked for ~ 3hrs, and when I restarted there were no issues on my 60 + mile drive home. (topped off tank ~10 gallons on the way home.)

A few days later, 65 mile drive highway speeds, no issue. Two days later, 45 miles into my drive going 50-65mph the GPI came back on and car when into limp mode. I pulled over, restarted 1 hour later and had no issues getting on the interstate and driving another 20 miles home. (at which point I made my appt with VW service.)

On the way to the dealership, 60 miles of interstate driving ~75mph no issues until I exit. After slowing down to surface street speeds, GPI back on and car limped into the dealership.

Dealership says bad diesel, want $900 to drain & flush fuel lines. I say no thank you and pick the car up.

No issues on the drive home going 70mph for 60 miles again until I exit...1/4 mile later GPI and CEL come on so I immediately pulled over and parked the car.

Dealership says the fuel "smelled funny" and failed the VW fuel test whatever that is. Codes were 00135, P0087. Said they checked the "HPFP screen" and it was clean, no metal bits so the HPFP is ok? (I presume they mean fuel filter?) Issue started 10 gallons into a tank that was filled from a high-volume station we've used for years.

Towing it to a local mechanic we trust in the morning. Any wise words to pass along?