2002 vw golf alh boost issue HELP!!!!

Poolejames

TDI
2002 vw golf
Ok guys been on several forums looking for answers found some good input but still having issues also stay with me New to the forum first time posting!

Ok first info on car
2002 alh tdi 5 speed golf fmic and all upgraded piping, egr delete, injectors, catless downpipe, 2.5 straight pipe exhaust, apt stage 1 tune, south bend clutch.

I bought the car at 140k miles and currently sits at 190k

The turbo has had a slow oil leak for a while so I ordered a new vnt15 turbo, just before the Install I ordered a boost gague and put it in. Old turbo would spike to 20psi and hold 10psi.
Then I installed the new turbo and had no boost upon further inspection and checking on the forums realized since I have egr delete I could delete n236, n18, vacuum resivor and all associated vac lines. After deleting it all I got boost back! But was still spiking 20 and holding 10...
I removed all Intercooler hoses cleaned them well and boost leak tested it and it held 30psi.
First test drive was better spiked 20 help about 12-13. So I took my old n18 and swapped it for the n75 and would hold 15 psi consistently.... so I bought a new n75 and now I get 26 psi and over boost code... so i got a hand help vac pump to test the actuator and it was in adjustment started to move about 4 inch pounds and hit the stop about 19 inch pounds. After more research saw a lot of other guys having trouble with map sensor so I ordered one and install with no change. This is where I'm at right now.... throws over boost code and goes into limp mode. In the morning I am picking up new maf sensor and putting it on and that's the last thing I can think of.....

Sadly I do not have vac com

If maf doesn't work where should I look next!?!?! Please help

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Do NOT buy an imitation cable off eBay. There are a few used Ross Tech cables for sale here in the classified section from time to time. Make sure you buy the correct model cable. If you can't figure it out, call Ross Tech and they will guide you.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Even though setting the turbo to "factory specs" is a good thing to do, it is just a good place to start from. In my tune I adjust the actuator arm until WOT in third gear gives me an N75% of 65%. I really don't know what my "lift and stop" values are, but due to the fact I have a larger than stock turbo, the "factory" settings are not that important at this point in time.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you check if it intake is clogged?
Look in the EGR valve, if its clogged, the intake probable is.
When I replaced my actuator I adjusted it the same as your test.
I still easily was getting over 25# boost and limp mode.
I had to lengthen the actuator rod over 1.5 turns and still get 20#.
Have to lengthen it once more, probably another 1/2 turn but first want to run a few boost, MAF, and N75 logs for the wizards here to check if I have other problems.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I went through that on stock car and rather than crawling under to keep adjusting the actuator, followed by a week of neck adjustments, I decided to swap the turbo. If the intake is clogged and causing overboost I figured the turbo needs a proper cleaning. Since poolejames, you have a new turbo and egr delete, you must've notice the intake condition...I easy offed the exhaust side of turbo and regained full power but it never stopped overboosting. The intake is all I can think of that is left. Maybe that's your issue.

Poolejames

TDI
2002 vw golf
Brand new turbo, when I installed it i pulled the Intake off and cleaned it. I have no clue what it could be...chasing my tail. VCDS is 2 days out...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, put the rod back at 4 Inch/Hg to just open, you had it right.
Assuming no leaking pipe, I'd start to inspect wire bundles and connects.
One near starter/under battery, one up along the firewall sometimes can have damage.
Real pain, these tiny wires.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I also adjusted the rod to give less boost now instead of OVERBOOST code I get p1556
How much did you turn the nut?
I turned mine 1 turn (or so) the first time, then another 1/2 turn.
I'm still getting 20# taking off and want to lower it a bit more.
Any chance you bumped the boost hose off or the vacuum hose?

Poolejames

TDI
2002 vw golf
https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/33754#H8KLCABlw7XDp1kCA3XCjsORCsODIAxFw7%2FDhWcDc8KDw65jwooPbgYbw6jCtMOEOMK6fsO9wrTChcKyB8O3wphzw65NMsKOw6rCmV4PwooIwoFTWcKyw5IXwqsbwpwTw5PChnXDlCpgRHbCgsOqMMOxwo0sIAlWcCvCtcOGw5HCmcOII3gnLsKjNHjDl8OCBcKbccOew4PDpwwrwqYww4nCvsKsJn9EVcKmwoNNH8Ofw7rDuMOaw4fDg8Kfw53Dp01XJMOlZcKmw711M1jDuwXDhX8kXBsBAAA%3D
Here is the log that i just ran. This is with the actuator adjusted longer than it should be. throwing a p1556 code. Tomorrow morning i am going to adjust the actuator back to "in spec" and will run more logs.
ONE OF YOU VCDS GURUS PLEASE HELP! running car in limp mode for TOO long.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am unable to open the log you posted, so I am guessing here. Are you 100% sure the vacuum hoses are run correctly? No offense intended here, also check to make sure the hose going from the N75 to the air box is not plugged or kinked. If the N75 cannot dump the vacuum fast enough there will be an over boost condition.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm only seeing the RPM hitting about 2,300?

Stuff looks WAY out of whack. Not sure which boost is which, but I don't think that Requested and Actual could be any further apart! And the Duty Cycle looks pretty sad.

It's like vacuum lines aren't hooked up properly.

Poolejames

TDI
2002 vw golf
Found the issue, was a bad maf flow sensor originally but after I installed maf there was no change because MAP sensor that I just put in and was new was bad. Boost is back and normal