Registration / tags at turn in?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Anyone know if the car needs a live registration at turn in?

Im buying my new one a week before turn in, and Id like to transfer the tags. Not buy new ones.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I know nothing about VA, but there are some states where the license plates stay with the registration (owner), ans some, like CA, where they stay with the vehicle. When I turn in our Passat next year, the registration and plates are coming with ME when I leave the dealership. As far as the registration begin current, I dunno.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
No you do not have to have plates on it or a registration at turn in.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Absolutely no need for buyback. But keep in mind that you should not drive an unregistered and not insured car on the road. So make sure you dont get pulled over while driving to VW

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
In Vermont, I drove the car in, with a live registration and plates. I removed the plates and kept the registration card at turn in, but I did surrender the paper title document used to transfer ownership of a car.

If you drive in with license plates that you intend to remove, be sure in advance that the attachment screws are not rusted on.

Borsig

TDI
Right. Good. Well I will keep insurance on it. But the tags will be registered to my new golf hatch that I'm buying. No intention of buying new tags when these were renewed in August.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Or bring a sawsall, since the condition of the car doesn't matter!

I got 3 outta 4 on the rear plate on the Passat, even with an impact driver couldn't for the life of me get the last one, had to drill it out, I felt kinda bad. Needless to say i tossed some anti seize on the fasteners on the '15.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Definitely depends on the state. When I sold the JSW back, I removed my license plate in the bay where I dropped it off. In Kentucky, you can’t really transfer registration, but you’re also not supposed to give up specialty plates. I’ve had the same plate on every car I’ve ever owned, so my plate wasn’t going with the car. I still had to pay full taxes and registration on my Golf even though I had done so on the JSW just a month prior, but my old plate looks good on the Golf.

Borsig

TDI
Well my tags say EPAH8N, so they're definitely going on the other tdi, lol.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Can you get a temporary plate from DMV for the turn-in vehicle, good maybe for just a few days?