2010 JSW TDI rear wiper wiping backwards

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Hello everyone,

Our trusty 2010 JSW TDI has just turned over 103,000 miles on the odometer. Things seem to be going well (knock on wood!) however the most peculiar rear wiper behavior has cropped up unexpectedly. The rear wiper arm is resting 180 degrees out. When it does wipe it wipes down onto the rear tailgate area, not "up" on the window.

We suspect there might have been some form of vandalism from when the car was in a parking garage. That or the wiper has just freaked out. Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

I've read how the wiper arm can be removed. I'm not sure if the wiping mechanism needs to be re-clocked or if something in there is broken. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thank you for any assistance! - Jim

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm not a mechanic, but my first thought is to pull the arm off and reinstall it at 180 degrees where it belongs. Problem solved, I'd hope!

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
On further inspection it looks like the plastic that surrounds the threaded rod (which turns the wiper) is cracked. This is allowing the plastic arm to remain stationary (or not) when the wiper motor is actuated. I'll need to tackle this when it gets a little cooler outside.

Where can I see an exploded diagram of this assembly?

Thanks for your help. -Jim

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
QQ: Where are most folks ordering their parts? Local dealer or online? I have a few parts that need to be replaced and considered going to a yard, but seems like a lot of work instead of buying new.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Mo! For online, I like ECS. They seem to be a great company. For some smaller parts I goto the dealer. The dealer price is higher but without shipping the cost comes out the same. The dealer also checks the part number based on your VIN to be sure you're getting the right part and it's convenient to just drive down and get my part.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Thx Ken! So glad you have kept your Golf. We will have to meet up for a coffee some time soon!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Great idea! I'm getting the fix on Wednesday. I guess there isn't much to see, but I could take you for a ride too. And I could see all your mods!

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Hello everyone,

I was able to remove the rear wiper arm from the car. ksing44, thank you very much for the parts diagram. That helped a lot!

I do have a question for re-installation. I put the new wiper arm on the shaft. It seems that the way to press the new bushing down and secure it would be to tighten the 13mm nut onto the threaded portion of the shaft. While this does seem to be working I am concerned that the amount of pressure needed might break something in the motor or linkage.

Should I be using a holding tool of some kind? Or do I torque it down?

Thanks again! -Jim

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello everyone,

I was able to remove the rear wiper arm from the car. ksing44, thank you very much for the parts diagram. That helped a lot!

I do have a question for re-installation. I put the new wiper arm on the shaft. It seems that the way to press the new bushing down and secure it would be to tighten the 13mm nut onto the threaded portion of the shaft. While this does seem to be working I am concerned that the amount of pressure needed might break something in the motor or linkage.

Should I be using a holding tool of some kind? Or do I torque it down?

Thanks again! -Jim
I would hold the wiper arm while tightening down the nut if you are concerned. Just don’t go crazy over tightening. From experience, having it tight and giving it a bit more ‘for insurance’ can cost you.