Gen 1 TDI fix receives EPA approval

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They're probably asking now so they don't have to worry about paying for and arranging the loaner.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Mine is going in for the fix on tuesday Aug 15th. They say it will be 4 - 5 hours. drop off at 8 and pick up between 12 and 1. I'll post if it feels very different to drive.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Awesome, I'm hoping I can get mine done next week also. But I read it's like a 5 hour fix, so you might tell them you want a loaner.
Ive got a loaner lined up. I have to go to work that day which is 50 miles away, too far to shuttle. Plus, a loaner car is included in the settlement

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I wonder if I can get them to do the 120k mile service while it's in there.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Did you get notified by VW to schedule the appointment or just call your dealer?
I called my dealership as soon as the fix was announced - I got an email from VW saying the fix was approved and to make an appt for after the 11th of August. I called the local VW dealer last week and they said my vin had not yet been added to the list at their dealership. Called on monday this week and they said my vin was on their list and could i bring the car in on the 15th for the fix.
I went to the claims site and they still have it as awaiting an agreed modification but i assume that as VW of Puyallup (local dealer closest to my work) has my VIN listed that they will have any needed paperwork but I will call the settlement guys tomorrow to make sure.

I do 40 miles each way into work so will let you know what i think on my 40 mile drive home, 32 miles freeway and 8 miles local roads.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Doesn't sound too brutal on the hardware side:

The fix includes software changes, but there are hardware changes as well. The original emissions modification agreement specified that Generation One 2.0L TDI models require a new exhaust flap, exhaust gas recirculation filter, and NOx trap, or other hardware that could complete the same function. New diagnostic functions to ensure that the new hardware is functional are also required.

This was on hybridcars.com
No way they're getting down to .07 grams/mile NOx, with just a flap and trap, not unless diesel mileage tanks. That's what I don't regret, getting away from a company that loves playing tricks. It looks like the process is cutting existing owners slack. At this point VW has sorely paid in other ways, but current product still sucks, from the 600+HP Panamera V8 Hybrid all the way down to the "Gen 1 fix". They just don't give a sh!t about pollution, their customers, or the function of a car.

Not kicking myself, at all.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
No way they're getting down to .07 grams/mile NOx, with just a flap and trap, not unless diesel mileage tanks. That's what I don't regret, getting away from a company that loves playing tricks. It looks like the process is cutting existing owners slack. At this point VW has sorely paid in other ways, but current product still sucks, from the 600+HP Panamera V8 Hybrid all the way down to the "Gen 1 fix". They just don't give a sh!t about pollution, their customers, or the function of a car.

Not kicking myself, at all.

If you read an earlier post you would realize the agreement with the EPA is to let Gen I cars run above the threshold.

As far as not caring about customers that is hardly confined to VAG. You got $$$ out of this so why the whining and complaining?

Analogeezer

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Malone are we going to have to get the car detuned before we send them to VW for the fix . Also also will there be a fee to have our cars upgraded to tge new tune?
We intend to do one free re-tune, and from there typically charge $100 for re-tuning, plus the price difference between files if people are looking to upgrade. We will be renting out dealer tools as requested for those in rural areas and distributors will look after the rest who don't have flashzillas.

Yes the car should be stock when taking it into the dealership, if you're on a stock exhaust they should be able to flash over the existing tune but the tech may run into issues there. Keep in mind that distributors will want compensation for their time.

vdubmom2b

TDI
2013 Jetta Wagon
OMG sorry for the late post but had a life changing er visit on Friday. That day happened to be the scheduled fix day @ dealer's. Here I am @ the er and the vdub owner is @ the dealer's. The vdub fix was NOT known to be approved yet said the dealership and thus NOTHING was done. My owner escalated that f up to the corporate VW office. Dealership was told to update themselves and work is now scheduled for this coming Tuesday. I hope so bcuz that was a lost day of work! We had booked the appointment on line but common sense would have prevailed and had they read it; they should have contacted us! We now have received in addition to earlier email, faxed info NOW a email listing the dealer to fix asap. Will advise later this week what happened.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I'm leaning toward the fix once there is some feedback on it. I like my JSW and would not want to give up IRS for a GSW even if a 6MT w/o a hole in the roof could be found.

Once it's 'fixed', and the extended warranty expires, a Malone tune should make life good again. All except for the HPFP question.

What would a CP3 mod do to the extended emissions warranty, if anything? If I did the CP3 now how would it affect getting the 'fix'? If it must have the stock HPFP is that covered by the extended emissions warranty?

I have 30k on a mint car and the original warranty expired April of this year. If the 'fix' gets a thumbs down I will probably just keep my JSW, get the CP3 and a Malone tune.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I wont get a fix. Shes long time dpf and egr deleted. Loving every minute of her. Sure wish I did it a long time ago.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
post modification first drive

just a quick update - drove 40 miles home after the modification so these are really superficial impressions.
The engine did not seem any louder than usual and the car was very mush the same to drive. it was noticeable that the changes were at higher revs and whilst the engine was no louder than usual it did rev higher which made a little more noise. The shift from 1st to second (DSG) in D was more noticeable than before - previously I could hardly feel the change on a normal acceleration from stop but now the change is noticeable. It is probably just temporary but the car feels a little more powerful (torquey) and in my case on the drive home the fuel consumption according to the dash gauge was better than usual (I'm sure that will change as the mods say it should drop) by almost 2mpg. I will be keeping records after the change. It may well be because I am driving differently because of the different shift points.
Overall I am currently quite happy with the change. They fitted multiple new sensors although my O2 sensor was well within tolerance so they didnt change that. I have attached the work sheet from the mods. Dropped off at 8:00 and completed by 11:55. mine was the first car they had done the mods to.
I'll followup again at the end of the week.
cheers
Barri

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the word. I'm scheduled for Thursday morning. So, tomorrow night I'll go back to stock tune, get fix Thursday. Send off "new" stock tune to Kerma, hopefully be running the newly modified tune by Friday.

PVM

TDI
Jetta SW2004, Jetta SpWag2014
TDI VW update from Dealer

So yesterday I received a package from VW about my TDI (2014, 44,000mi,)
about coming in to the local dealership to get the upgrades ECU reprogrammed and the new parts installed. so my question is has anyone else had their TDI's repaired yet? And if so what types of problems have you experienced? Thus far i have had little issue with this car and hope it stays that way.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So yesterday I received a package from VW about my TDI (2014, 44,000mi,)
about coming in to the local dealership to get the upgrades ECU reprogrammed and the new parts installed. so my question is has anyone else had their TDI's repaired yet? And if so what types of problems have you experienced? Thus far i have had little issue with this car and hope it stays that way.
Read Post # 47

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Has anyone heard if VW will fix and sell some of the Gen 1s they bought back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They haven't received approval for reselling the Gen 1 or Gen 2 bought back cars yet. My own suspicion is that the EPA doesn't want dealers spending time and using up the parts supply to fix cars for resale until they've fixed the ones in owners' hands.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
They haven't received approval for reselling the Gen 1 or Gen 2 bought back cars yet. My own suspicion is that the EPA doesn't want dealers spending time and using up the parts supply to fix cars for resale until they've fixed the ones in owners' hands.

I'm hoping to get a Gen 1 post fix for a 3rd family car as one option so curious to see pricing once those hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
So what are the changes? New Chip or reprogramming for sure (sounds like it shifts at higher RPM). What else? I read there are "parts". What parts are these. I gather it is not urea injection.... I know the little diesels in Europe, VW put some kind of vortex generator in the inlet pipe... (ha ha seems like a bad made for TV scam).

Am I correct in saying I have until Sept 2018 to make a decision? If that is the case no rush to have it modified.... Right? Any down side waiting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2009 cars get a new DPF and CAT. '10-14 cars get a new, different DPF, both get an ECU re-flash. DSG cars get a transmission re-flash as well. A colleague had his '10 fixed today and it also got an updated airbox bypass flap (?). He says his car feels peppier (it's a manual), and is noticeably louder, as VW claims.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
2009 cars get a new DPF and CAT. '10-14 cars get a new, different DPF, both get an ECU re-flash. DSG cars get a transmission re-flash as well. A colleague had his '10 fixed today and it also got an updated airbox bypass flap (?). He says his car feels peppier (it's a manual), and is noticeably louder, as VW claims.

needs a bit of an edit.

the 10-14 cars do not get a new DPF, they all get the new Nitrogen Storage Cat (aka nox cat)

the separate recall for the airbox flap and possible O2 sensor is also applied.

and my car at least got a new glow plug controller. (at least that is the story why the car is spending a second night at the dealer for the fix)

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
So what are the changes? New Chip or reprogramming for sure (sounds like it shifts at higher RPM). What else? I read there are "parts". What parts are these. I gather it is not urea injection.... I know the little diesels in Europe, VW put some kind of vortex generator in the inlet pipe... (ha ha seems like a bad made for TV scam).

Am I correct in saying I have until Sept 2018 to make a decision? If that is the case no rush to have it modified.... Right? Any down side waiting.

the only downside to waiting is if your car has a failure while waiting which would be covered by the post-fix warranty.

also the payment of your incentive will wait until after the fix is applied.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Does anyone here think I'll be denied the fix because I have the CP3 pump? I think it should be okay, but of course I want that to be true. For VW it's better to say sorry Charlie!