ALH TDI 1984 Toyota 4x4, Oh Yeah!

bms707

TDI
'84 yota 4x4 ALH TDI, '03 Jetta wagon(soon to be 6speed)
Hello all! Just joined the forums, the name's Ben. Anyways i got my 1984 toyota 4x4 pickup that I've had for many years now, and it's finally time to say goodbye to the ol'reliable 22r gasser. She's served me well hauling firewood and my tools around, but its time to get a REAL truck engine under that 30 year old Japanese hood, one without spark plugs!:D

Here she is:

As you can see I'm also currently painting the frame and building a flatbed, or i may replace it with a factory bed if i can find one in good enough condition.. P.S. this is a longbed version of the truck (longer wheelbase) And for anyone wondering those are 35x13.50r15 toyo m/t's on 15x10 alloys and the rear end is a v6 pumpkin with a 4.88 ratio. Truck has a 4inch suspension lift with hi-steer.

And the trusty little 22r that's now up for sale (PM me if interested, not sure how many toyota guys are on this forum:cool:)

And the donor patient, a 2000 Beetle TDI 5speed. I was trying to find a wrecked VW so i didn't have to tear apart a complete vehicle but this one threw its timing belt and the price was too good to pass up for a complete rig. Everything that i don't need for the swap is for sale (Tranny, Wheels, Radiator, AC system, Interior pieces, Body Components)

And here is the ALH and all its glory:D:D Before its even in the truck i plan on deleting the egr and having the ecu reflashed for more power, as well as cleaning everything up and of course ALL new timing components.

bms707

TDI
Some Bucket lifter carnage (This one was the worst) they're all pretty spider-webbed though. Gonna need a new head! or hopefully just new valves, buckets and a cam:rolleyes:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I approve! You gonna stick with all the electronics, or go mechanical?

bms707

TDI
Motor coming out, wasn't trying to show off lol. It was about 95 degrees this day, which is unusually hot for my area

Out and on the stand, look at those rusty coolant passages

A pile o parts! i figured out why the t-belt snapped, you can see the water pump at the bottom of this pic with its PLASTIC impeller wheel (really germany? seriously?!) it appears the wheel completely shredded off the water pump shaft, toasted the needle bearing in the pump which consequently ruined the t-belt causing valve to piston contact, lovely! Somehow a good chunk was taken out of the water pump drive sprocket. Also found little needle bearing collected at the base of the timing cover by the crank pulley, this is one unhappy TDI! That's a good EGR that i have no use for...

Cylinder Head! looks like #1 exhaust and #2 intake took one for the team ;)

Injectors and lines bagged and tagged! Ready to get scrubbed with a toothbrush and diesel fuel.

Yepppp, that's a dirty intake! Nothing a propane torch and compressed air won't take care of.

Bottom end looks pretty good, IMO

Now this is gonna be a little tricky, it appears i have to fab up a new coolant pipe for the rear of the cylinder head, because this will poke toward the firewall of my toyota, while in the bug it has ample room. I'd like to see some ideas of how people have tackled this issue!!

bms707

TDI
Oh yeah, and here's the 5spd manual tranny. I also have the flywheel, clutch, shifter and cables, clutch master/slave. So if anyone is looking to do an auto to manual swap, I've got what you need!

Ok my pic whore streak is over...for now lol :p

bms707

TDI
what brand is the timing belt that snapped, any markings?... for the coolant flange issue i made a block off plate that replaced the coolant glow flange and welded a nipple to the rad hose outlet ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3290133&postcount=87
I'm assuming the belt was OEM it had no marks on it (maybe the marks were right on the part where it snapped lol), this beetle has 193k on it and appears the PO's weren't too keen on maintenance :eek: water pump was OEM VW as well :/ Thanks for the coolant pipe suggestion, that seems like the route i'll have to take, I'd like to try and retain the coolant glow plugs just by relocating their bracket.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Looks like you bought the boat he had for sale too!!!
I was the first one to look at that car. When I saw every lifter trashed, I thought there was a good chance the bottom end was going to have problems. I was going to make him an offer and use it for a 5spd swap, but you beat me to it.
Do your self a favor and send the head to franko6, you won't be dissapointed.
Where are you located, I might still be interested in the trans and asso. parts.

Jimbote...there wasn't enough of the belt left to identify....it was about 3/4" wide when it snapped.

Last edited:

bms707

TDI
Looks like you bought the boat he had for sale too!!!
I was the first one to look at that car. When I saw every lifter trashed, I thought there was a good chance the bottom end was going to have problems. I was going to make him an offer and use it for a 5spd swap, but you beat me to it.
Do your self a favor and send the head to franko6, you won't be dissapointed.
Where are you located, I might still be interested in the trans and asso. parts.

Jimbote...there wasn't enough of the belt left to identify....it was about 3/4" wide when it snapped.
Haha no we've had that boat for many years , its a '76 Glastron still looking for a motor :/ Yeah i was a little weary at first with the beetle, but it just ended up being a couple trashed valves. I'm near Eureka, PM me an offer if your interesed :) And, frank06? Is he on this forum? What state is he in?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Yes Frank is a well respected member here....sure you didn't buy that boat in Lakeport.
Oddly enough, the first tdi motor I bought was just about a mile from there.
I am local in the lakeport area.

bms707

TDI
Yes Frank is a well respected member here....sure you didn't buy that boat in Lakeport.
Oddly enough, the first tdi motor I bought was just about a mile from there.
I am local in the lakeport area.
Got the boat from a buddy here in humboldt about 8 years ago, nice it sure looks like you have enough tdi's lol. This is actually my first tdi ever, my sister had an '02 jetta but it was a gasser AND auto :eek:. I sure did love those heated seats though :D

bms707

TDI
Haha getting my buddys 16ft double axle flatbed AND my 2000 ford excursion that pulled it into that dudes driveway was QUITE a chore, just nearly cleared the TINY gate opening he had lol.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
just an FYI on the valves ... every damaged lifter has a suspect valve underneath and that valve should be replaced ... hate to see you go through all the work only to destroy the engine a few k down the road ....the same untortunate scenario happens over and over :/

bms707

TDI
just an FYI on the valves ... every damaged lifter has a suspect valve underneath and that valve should be replaced ... hate to see you go through all the work only to destroy the engine a few k down the road ....the same untortunate scenario happens over and over :/
Oh totally, i was already planning on buying a new cylinder head just to erase the possibility of ANY problems down the road. I only have this toyota and my excursion. The excursion get about 22 mpg, which is fantastic for an 8400lb rig, but the toyota gets about the same, or worse :/ Bottom line is that I'm building my yota to be my new DD, and thus will be relying heavily on it for work, school etc. So i may just replace the entire head just as a safety measure, i tried looking up frank06 on the search bar and couldn't find him. Idk maybe i didn't search for the right criteria :confused:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks to those who have done business with me and trust the work. We continue to produce what we think is a superior product.

The cylinder head appears repairable, however there is a lot of corrosion.

The transmission needs to be checked out, particularly the differential. If it's still tight, I'm interested. Perhaps a bit of horse-trade?

If you like, give me a call and we'll see what we can do.

bms707

TDI
Got the main harness out of the bug today! Any good recommendations for someone to delete my immobilizer and tune the ecu? I think this has an immo, right? The bugs build date is 09/99, here's a pic of the ecu to clarify..

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
yeah that's a 121 pin immo II ecm ... most any tuner can defeat the immo ... i would go with a tuner that uses a tuning box as it may take a few revisions to eliminate all the dtc's associated with missing modules

bms707

TDI
Updates!! It's been a while, crazy busy this last month or two.

Anyhow, frame is halfway painted, having a a buddy with a cnc table cut me out some frame plates. As you can see i have a little helper..

Spaghetti! lol... The wiring on these things seems to be pretty straightforward. Got most of the useless wires out of the way: ABS, headlights, wipers and so on. Sent the ECU off to jfettig, he was VERY quick on the turnaround and a pleasure to do business with. Had him do the econo-tune, egr delete, and of course immo-delete.

The head i have on a pallet along with manual tranny and related components, ready to be sent off to franko6. Spoke to him on the phone numerous times, very cool guy and is a VW wizard! Just waiting on the bill of lading to arrive and off it goes for repair!

Further inspection of the block revealed some decent scoring on #3 and 4 cylinders, so i tore it down and sent it off to the machine shop. They checked the piston to cylinder wall clearance and it was at about .006" so it's getting bored out! which means new pistons and rod and main bolts :/, and they're pricey little buggers about $100 a pop.

Other little odds and ends:
-Made some brackets out of plumber tape for vw radiator
-Combined toyota gas pedal bracket and vw accelerator pedal bracket
-Welded brackets for clutch switch and brake switch to toyota pedal assembly
-Got a transmission X-member from an '89 4runner v6 auto, this bumps the whole drivetrain forward about 3" so driveline and shifter modifications are now necessary. The extra 3" allows for more than adequate room for the vacuum pump and coolant outlet on the back of the cylinder head.
-Flushed fuel tank with diesel and purchased a small 4 psi lift pump to aid the injection pump,

To do:
-Motor Mounts (planning on using ford taurus motor mount, as someone here on the forums has done previously)
-Intercooler and piping(I purchased a weld-on MAP sensor bung from ebay)
-Modify P/S high pressure line to fit vw pump
-Modify tach for Vw ecu output (Although I've read that my 121pin puts out the correct signal for my 4cyl toyota tach, correct me if I'm wrong)
-Add glow plug light and Check engine light(probably will just use some 12v LED's from radioshack)
-Build Flatbed (Although I've found a longbed for my model year not too far from home, even comes with a matching shell. Amazingly it's free of dents and rust, so still undecided on that.)
-Thinking of using the vw cruise control, i would either need to modify the signal from the sensor on my rear-end or manage to make the vw sensor fit on the third member. (If anyone has done this with success, please chime in:))
That's all i can think of for now, I'm sure there's more though..

Autopaul

TDI
Pickup toyota
I've seen some others use Mercedes Diesel engine mounts... They look like a really great choice also.
-Cruise control in my opinion is super. Why not use a vw gauge cluster and put the sensor for the speed onto the transmission speedo output ( May need some fancy modifications.) I will post when I figure this one out myself.
What kind of lift pump did you go with?
I'm trying to decide as my pd Tdi requires high flow at 4-10psi range... They actually come stock with a fuel cooler under the body.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Do you have a picture of your gas pedal bracket, getting ready to build mine. How about how you are going to mount the brake/clutch switches? I have a brake light switch from a 4runner that functions just like the VW switch that mounts in the toyota mount. Thinking of hooking up my cruise just for the hell if it, I can count on my hand the number if times I've used it in 30 years of driving. My '86 has a speed sensor built into the cluster that should work as the signal to the ECU, your cluster might have it too

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
this is what you need to make the check engine light work with your 121 pin ecm, with earlier 68 and 80 pin ecm's this is not required... and yes your ecm has a two pulse per rev tach output, however you may still need to modify your tach so it can utilize the signal. do a search in conversions, it's been covered ... as for bulbs just use the stock toyota incandescents for cel/and glow ... that's what i've used on my swap for over three years now with zero problems (led's won't work, afterglow issue) .... on pedal switches, the toyota switches will work fine but you have to use a toy brake switch on the clutch side to keep the vw ECM happy ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Do you have a picture of your gas pedal bracket, getting ready to build mine. How about how you are going to mount the brake/clutch switches? I have a brake light switch from a 4runner that functions just like the VW switch that mounts in the toyota mount. Thinking of hooking up my cruise just for the hell if it, I can count on my hand the number if times I've used it in 30 years of driving. My '86 has a speed sensor built into the cluster that should work as the signal to the ECU, your cluster might have it too
that speed sensor will not work with the vw ecm ...it's a reed type and shows up as a very erratic speed signal on vcds (cruise no likey)... i even tried to filter the signal using a dakota box but it did not work ... if the op's truck has a factory speed sensor that may work but will probably have to be conditioned down with a converter box .... if not you can use the tach output as a surrogate speed signal through a dakota speed conditioner ... it's what i've been using, works great

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
that speed sensor will not work with the vw ecm ...it's a reed type and shows up as a very erratic speed signal on vcds (cruise no likey)... i even tried to filter the signal using a dakota box but it did not work ... if the op's truck has a factory speed sensor that may work but will probably have to be conditioned down with a converter box .... if not you can use the tach output as a surrogate speed signal through a dakota speed conditioner ... it's what i've been using, works great
That's good to know, is a speed sensor used for anything besides cruise?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
rockwell.... as far as I know it is not used for anything other than cruise.... it may be used to calculate total miles in the ecm's memory? ...someone else may chime in with a differing opinion but I have seen no issues with my setup....OK well maybe one... when I first setup the cruise using the tach signal via dakota box I got a speed input signal too high code when I revved past 4k rpm (this would drop the cruise until cycling the key)...I adjusted the converter box output signal to a slightly lower ppm and it cleared up....

bms707

TDI
Autopaul- Mercedes mounts, huh? I do like that what model are they for and would you possibly have a link? I'm not using the VW cluster because my goal for this swap is to keep everything on the interior/exterior as factory toyota as possible. I've swapped a v6 third member from a '94 4runner that has an electronic speed sensor, it's a NUK pump probably chinese :/

Rockwell- I will get a pic up as soon as i can, i basically welded/bolted the two brackets together

jimbote- Yes thank you for the CEL fix i actually read your posts on that just after i posted last night. I figured that the ecu just grounded that pin when the light should come "on" apparently not lol. For the tach, my cluster in the truck was originally for a carby so i'll have to do a little more homework. The switches I am just cutting the tabs off the VW pedal bracket and welding them to the toyota brackets, so i can retain the use of the VW switches, keeps things simple ;)

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Re. '84 ALH TDI Toyota truck

Coolant flange adaptation (on a 1Z - coolant glowplugs deleted): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3385143&postcount=113

Watching with interest! I enjoyed HumCo for 3 years.

How far forward are you going to move the engine?

Trailgear's t-case mount is worth installing while you're in there. G52 transmission?

Definitely do the cruise control - I didn't and wish I had.

Do a flatbed - it will save a ton of weight/increase performance. As you know, those steel beds are heavy. If you decide to install an inline fuel pump down the road, you'll have access. Not so much with stock bed. See Jaysinspaceman's for one such elegant solution.

bms707

TDI
Coolant flange adaptation (on a 1Z - coolant glowplugs deleted): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3385143&postcount=113

Watching with interest! I enjoyed HumCo for 3 years.

How far forward are you going to move the engine?

Trailgear's t-case mount is worth installing while you're in there. G52 transmission?

Definitely do the cruise control - I didn't and wish I had.

Do a flatbed - it will save a ton of weight/increase performance. As you know, those steel beds are heavy. If you decide to install an inline fuel pump down the road, you'll have access. Not so much with stock bed. See Jaysinspaceman's for one such elegant solution.
For the coolant flange i just ordered one from an auto (no glow plugs) Here

Nice! I've lived hear my whole life, beautiful place :)

I bolted up a X-member from an '89 4runner v6 auto, that bumped everything forward about 3" which is ample room for the vacuum pump and auto coolant flange

Yup its a g52 tranny :/ don't have enough $$ to upgrade that now so i'll just run it and hope she holds. I will be doing a w56 swap later down the road.

Oh yes, cruise control is on the list :)

As is a flatbed, just need to find some time to run down to the steel yard and start tacking things together. Already have an inline pump i picked up off ebay 4~5psi, it's an NUK brand, i tested it and it seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the reply dude! Updates have been lacking lately due to the block and head being off for machining. Block has been bored 0.5mm over and decked, new pistons are en route. The head is on its way to franko6 for a rebuild and machining as well. I plan on ordering the ACME adapter in early august. That's how things are looking for now, i will update you guys as progress is made, have a good one!