2006 Jetta TDI Sunroof Drain Fix

richbking

I had taken my jetta to the dealership twice because every time it rained the floor behind the drivers seat would become wet. Each time the dealer said they could not replicate the problem.

Anyway after wasting my time with the dealer I decided to fix it myself. In 15 mins. I was able to locate the problem and then it took me about 3 hours to fix it. I followed the DIY that someone had done for the MKIV.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2115848

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the tubing needed to do this DIY needs to be 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD, because 3/4" OD called out for the MVIV DIY will not fit through the pillar that is used for the existing rear drain tube. The 5/8" OD tubing barely fits, but solves the problem.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
Is there a way to prevent this problem...rather than having to fix it.

Maybe...fill the tubes with vinnegar or simple green....let sit for a while and blow them out from the bottom??...or top?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Tubes

dayne66 said:
Maybe...fill the tubes with vinnegar or simple green....let sit for a while and blow them out from the bottom??...or top?
You do not want to use compressed air on sunroof drains! You will blow apart connection inside and will have major work to do. :eek: Bentley warns about using compressed air.

richbking

The issue with the drain on my vehicle was that the connection between the hose and the connector leaked. The only way I know of to prevent this from happening is to have the VW engineers come up with a better connection. If you look at the pictures in the link above, you'll see that the tube tends to become oval after time.

b-deacon

TDI
2006.5 TDI
Gezzzz i guess some VW tech's don't like to take the time to look though the VW bullitens.... When i was working at VW i red new bullitens everyday and knew just about all of them off the top of my head and would supply the tech with a copy when veh came in.... and i remember a bulliten about the sunroofs leaking.... i guess thats what you get when you have a bored parts manager working... or maby that was my way of good customer service and always having the parts needed for the bullitens so customers didnt have to come back...

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
2004STARWARSTDI said:
You do not want to use compressed air on sunroof drains! You will blow apart connection inside and will have major work to do. :eek: Bentley warns about using compressed air.

Suction??

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Jesus H Christ. So they didn't drain it out the drivers/passenger doors like the A4 Jetta, they routed it to the rear like a Golf?

WHY?

Jettamazda

TDI
06 jetta
Im fighting this right now and have the headliner dropped..yes there is a tube off the front going down the A-piller, my rear connection is loose but i do not think this is the main problem.. for the water to leak out of the connection (at the rate it does) it has to back up to that point. So i blow thru the tube or tryed to and its definitely clogged. Iv tryed pushing a wirr and a small tube thru it but only gwt about 3feet in before i cant push anymore so may by at the clog. Where is the bottom end at so i can try to push it up from there?

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
One think that worked for me, that I read on the forum, is the use of weed whacker line. It's fairly rigid and can pushed thru.