Fix for '12-'14 manual, 6sp, passats??!?!

J

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi.... my 6th TDi!! a4, a3, b4, a5, my b7 and wife has a '11 JSW.. :)
Is a fix ever gonna come for us with passat manuals?
:confused::confused::confused:

opsx

TDI
tdi
just curious, what fix isnt available? if you put a vin of a manual passat (12-14) into the lookup site it shows fix available and many have them. something else?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
If a fix is not approved, you have TWO choices -

1. Keep driving it forever unfixed (yes , even in California)
2. Do the buyback.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
just curious, what fix isnt available? if you put a vin of a manual passat (12-14) into the lookup site it shows fix available and many have them. something else?
are you sure those are actual manuals?

many dealers erroneously list autos/DSG as "manuals"

I've yet to see a real stick shift show as being fixed.

opsx

TDI
tdi
I guess I don't know for a fact that they were manuals. I guess I better find pics of a real one :) So then, those are the unicorn cars eh?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
If no fix exists, we should get same money as those who apply fix for money, or readjusted larger buybacks.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I guess I don't know for a fact that they were manuals. I guess I better find pics of a real one :) So then, those are the unicorn cars eh?
Here is a VIN for one of my manual Passats that I already sold back 1VWBN7A39EC088755

If no fix exists, we should get same money as those who apply fix for money, or readjusted larger buybacks.
LOL! Good Luck!

opsx

TDI
tdi
thanks TDIforDays. pretty cool. btw, did you seriously manage to buy a car with 170K miles on it? I guess you sweet talked them ;)

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
thanks TDIforDays. pretty cool. btw, did you seriously manage to buy a car with 170K miles on it? I guess you sweet talked them ;)
It was at a dealership and I purchased it... just like I did with dozens of other cars

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Yeah, enough is enough already.

Monday I'm going to go look at a 2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt. The 2015 car is an identical twin to my 2014 car except for the color. If I buy the 2015 car I will sell the 2014 back to VW. The price of the 2015 is within $1k of the buy-back price of my 2014. So money wise it's a wash.

We'll see how this plays out.

:)

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, enough is enough already.
Monday I'm going to go look at a 2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt. The 2015 car is an identical twin to my 2014 car except for the color.
Actually it has body styling changes and a different engine

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Actually it has body styling changes and a different engine
I meant option wise. I was looking for a 2015 that was an exact option match to my 2014. The body changes are very very minor. The CVCA engine is big plus for the emission upgrade and warranty.

I did buy the 2015 on Monday.

The car was sold back to VW sometime in 2017. I did a VIN lookup and it received the phase 1 emission upgrade on August 11 at 28.3k miles. There is an extra emission warranty booklet with the owner's manual. Basically, anything that can throw an engine code is covered, engine, fuel system, and complete emission system. Sometime in 2018 the car is suppose to get the phase 2 emission upgrade.

As it looks like there is not going to be a fix for 2014 manual transmission Passats, my only option is to sell it back to VW or be stuck with an orphan. It was an easy decision when I did the math and I will get more money for my 2014 than what I paid for the 2015. When I found a 2015 6MT for sale I pounced on it.

As for the my 2014, I cleaned it out last night and transferred all my stuff into the 2015. The 2014 now sits sadly out in the street awaiting its future date with the crusher. As I still owe some money on the 2014 (I will miss the .09% interest). I'm paying it off first and have the title before I change my car's status with VW from 'FIX' to 'BUY-BACK' and actually start the buy-back process. I financed the 2015 through VW Credit and will pay off the loan when I sell the 2014 back.

This is a bitter-sweet experience for me.

Last edited:

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Is a fix ever gonna come for us with passat manuals?
:confused::confused::confused:
VW said they were going to resubmit with 90 days. That puts the resubmission in the middle of December. Then epa/carb are going to evaluate the fix. I think they also have a 90 day deadline. That pushes it back to the middle of March.
Lets not forget that the 1st test car passed, the second on third car failed. I think it was by 0.05 grams. So VW was close but not close enough for the regulators.
I'm expecting it to be available in June 2018 in Canada. For some reason, things take longer here.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
VW said they were going to resubmit with 90 days. That puts the resubmission in the middle of December. Then epa/carb are going to evaluate the fix. I think they also have a 90 day deadline. That pushes it back to the middle of March.
Lets not forget that the 1st test car passed, the second on third car failed. I think it was by 0.05 grams. So VW was close but not close enough for the regulators.
I'm expecting it to be available in June 2018 in Canada. For some reason, things take longer here.
So come March we should have some more info, huh? Sheesh...........

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm hoping if there is no fix they give us all specially produced Audi A8L units with a V-6 diesel

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Seriously - a drop dead date would be great. Anyone thinking of keeping the car? I'm irrationally considering it...

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
Seriously - a drop dead date would be great. Anyone thinking of keeping the car? I'm irrationally considering it...
A part of me keeps pining for my TDI back, the more emotional side. The rational side says I did good - not counting fuel, maintenance and insurance, which would have been paid on any vehicle, I made money on the car, getting back more in 2017, than I paid in 2014, and I chose a replacement vehicle that I am very happy with, and now more closely fits our needs than the Passat did.

I suppose missing the TDI is compounded by three big factors that I don't see being replicable in anything offered today or the immediate future that I would consider buying: a diesel passenger car, manual transmission, and the combination of torque and fuel economy.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that sucks.

For those of us wishing to keep the car we should get money as though we went in for a fix.

Or offer to retrofit an automatic and give us money.

Or that A8L diesel

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Wouldn't this tend to make MT cars more desirable and valuable down the road a bit...?
It will make them rare, but the extended warranty on the modified DSGs may make those more desirable.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Well that sucks.

For those of us wishing to keep the car we should get money as though we went in for a fix.

Or offer to retrofit an automatic and give us money.

Or that A8L diesel
So, for those of us wanting to get every (virtually) depreciation free mile out of the car possible, what's the timing looking like? I.e., when do we need to indicate that we're doing the buyback and what's the latest date that we can do the buyback?

Ugh, this sucks.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I'm hoping if there is no fix they give us all specially produced Audi A8L units with a V-6 diesel
I took the buyback $ from my 2015 A3, added $16000 in cash and got a 2015 A8L TDI. Now awaiting a buyback or a $10,000 cash restitution to fix the A8L. Great trade up.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
If this is the final word on the 2012-2014 Passat TDI manuals I guess I am going to have to revise my plans. I had hoped to purchase a fixed 2012 manual to supercede my 1999.5 Jetta.

So the only 2012 Passat TDIs that will be fixed are the DSG models? A further question on the extended warranties on these cars. Is the warranty transferrable? If not, I guess I would need to look only at purchasing one from a VW dealer.

Dave