How to identify it's a VNT-17 turbo for an ALH

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Folks -

I thought I bought from aarodriguez a VNT-17 for an ALH. I thought that at least it would be identified as a GT1749VB.

However, what I received has no markings identifying what it is, and the Garrett product information says it's for a 1.9L TDI with a BEW code engine, and a GT1749V turbocharger.

Did I receive the wrong thing?

Thanks!

Jud.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Has a 90 degree bend. Not sure about the clip type connector.

But aren't the correct VNT-17s VB, not just V? IDparts, for example, definitely lists a VB. Are even fixmyvw has it listed as a VB, not a V. Kermit and others as well the same.

I have an email into them about this. As well, I have to buy an adapter, which was mentioned way at the bottom of their page advertising their product. Not a bright idea, since this was meant for an ALH!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks turbocharged798. I too would like to know the difference between VA and VB.

Also, according to Garrett, looking up the nameplate that was glued (I guess) on top of the OE information, this is an aftermarket unit, and it's a GT17.

https://garrett.honeywell.com/products/turbo-identification/

It does say 778445-5002s.

I guess I could pull off the nameplate and look underneath, but I'm going to wait until I hear back from them about this.

Most importantly, every web store that carries this identifies it as for 2003.5 - 2005 TDIs, so BEW, not ALH.

What is the difference? I'm pretty certain at this point that they have sent me the wrong turbo.

Thanks all.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Update: OK, I've been told, slightly emphatically, that I have the right turbo, that it's the VB. The turbo for the BEW works just fine on the ALH, one just doesn't plug in for the electronic feedback.

I'd still like a way to determine for sure that it's a VB!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The VB is the preferred choice of the two as it has both a larger compressor wheel and a larger turbine wheel too, all in the "same" housing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Update: OK, I've been told, slightly emphatically, that I have the right turbo, that it's the VB. The turbo for the BEW works just fine on the ALH, one just doesn't plug in for the electronic feedback.

I'd still like a way to determine for sure that it's a VB!
if Andrew said it was a VB then it's a VB

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Thank you, I too thought it was funny

Oh man! Apologies to Kerma. But that's too funny.
Many years of class clown when young, and many years of Stand-Up as an adult, I am often able to see the twisted side of things quite easily. And BTW, whenever an innocent joke can be made about Kermit, it's game on. I meant Kerma, dammit. Sorry Piggy.

If you want to know if the turbo is a VB or not, pull the cold side cover and measure the compressor wheel inducer and you will know without a doubt if it is a VB.
Side note: if Aaron said it is a VB, believe it is a VB.

Last edited: