Cam Position Sensor & O2 sensor codes?

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
So my emissions workshop light comes on. No biggie, usually a ceramic glowplug gone bad. I pull out vag-com to see what the codes are and get 2 I'm not familiar with:

19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
17524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating

I'm still under warranty so I take it to the dealer to see what gives. They call me back and say it looks like an animal has chewed the wires on both of these & warranty doesn't cover that.

Anyone know if these parts are easy to replace (like a glowplug (non-ceramic of course)? Cost estimate from dealer is $670 to replace both. They don't have the cam sensor in stock & they said it would be Monday before it came in. I can bail at this point if ya'll say it is an easy thing to do and an independent can easily replace.

Also is there any harm in not getting these replaced right away?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
03G 906 262 O2 sensor (list $159.27)
038 906 433 A impulse sender camshaft sprocket ($110.18)

O2 sensor isn't too bad. Remove the air filter box and you can get at it, if I recall correctly. Bentley says remove the intake manifold flap motor. The wiring snakes along the back of the engine compartment. Apply hot bolt paste G 052 112 A3 (anti-seize compound) to the threads (if it doesn't come supplied that way) but don't get any into the slots of the sensor body. Tighten to 50 Nm.

You can get to the cam position sensor by removing the top timing belt cover. It is fastened in with a 10mm head bolt. Don't drop it down into the belt area!

Take a picture of the position so you can be sure to install the replacement in the exact same location. They are sensitive to distance from and angle to the cam sprocket.

Follow the wiring as it snakes along the engine to the back of the engine compartment too. This is the difficult part.

1stvwparts shows the list prices noted above and sell for less. Or get from any other source you choose.

You might inspect the damage, and investigate the possibility of repairing the wiring if you have the skills.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Thanks MOGolf. I went ahead and let the dealer fix.

They charged me the prices you listed for the parts + their labor & diagnostics.

I talked with my insurance agent and he told me that this is covered under my comprehensive plan less the $250 deductable.

They gave me the old parts back and the rodent had completely chewed up the wires for both sensors so no repair would have been possible.