www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 1st, 2019, 20:24   #1
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf
Default Couple of quick questions on glow plugs BEW

Does anyone have info on how to determine which glow plugs I have in my BEW? I remember having a recall done probably around 2007 or 2008 at which time the ECU was re-flashed to accommodate the new plugs. I can't don't remember if this was an update from the original plugs or if this was an update to the update to the original plugs...weren't there two updates from original?

I've since acquired a Malone Tune. I think it's time to replace my glow plugs and harness but want to make sure I get the correct version (steel vs ceramic; 7v vs 5v) as I don't want to re-flash again if I don't need to. I already have a new harness.

Now that it's colder, I'm getting plug codes that I can clear but then they periodically show up again unsolicited. I live in the PNW so it's not a big deal but if it gets really cold, I should be prepared.

Thanks up front!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:12   #2
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Search threads started by MOGolf; he did a write-up on the BEW GP recalls. I had it written down somewhere, but don't know where I put it.
N 105 916 07 is the part # for the 5n steelies installed with the first recall that was superseded by the 7v GP's with the steel sheathing. The latter I do not know.
I don't have the factory installed ceramic's anymore. I had kept them for a while.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:50   #3
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Ask Malone, I'm guessing they keep records.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 21:39   #4
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Okay, will search MOGolf.

Bob -- Malone keeping records on what? I didn't follow you there...

Is this something I can find out with VCDS?
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:00   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I think it’s stamped in very small letters on the side of the glow plug itself. I have several laying on a shelf I’ll double check.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 05:13   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The tuners may not change that section (glow 'palpitation') of the software unless you tell them to, although I always tell them which plugs are being used. In the case of the current crop, I would just want the newest 7v NGK plugs anyway (note these plugs are NOT the same as the 7v NGK plugs the BRM engines left the factory with!).

But otherwise, removing a plug and seeing which one it is will be the only way to know for certain, and they are all marked.
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:45   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Okay, will search MOGolf.

Bob -- Malone keeping records on what? I didn't follow you there...

Is this something I can find out with VCDS?
Records of before and after data for your ECU. They should at least be able to tell you what flavor glow plugs the ECU expects.
VCDS might (should) show that info, IDK what value to look for.

Last edited by BobnOH; October 4th, 2019 at 09:41.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 09:34   #8
Diesel_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Does anyone have info on how to determine which glow plugs I have in my BEW? I remember having a recall done probably around 2007 or 2008 at which time the ECU was re-flashed to accommodate the new plugs. I can't don't remember if this was an update from the original plugs or if this was an update to the update to the original plugs...weren't there two updates from original?

I've since acquired a Malone Tune. I think it's time to replace my glow plugs and harness but want to make sure I get the correct version (steel vs ceramic; 7v vs 5v) as I don't want to re-flash again if I don't need to. I already have a new harness.

Now that it's colder, I'm getting plug codes that I can clear but then they periodically show up again unsolicited. I live in the PNW so it's not a big deal but if it gets really cold, I should be prepared.

Thanks up front!

KERMA sells the updated glow plugs along with the updated glow plug module. That is where I got mine from. Check there too

Diesel Man
Diesel_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 18:49   #9
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Will play around with VCDS this weekend. I'm too squeamish to take out a GP unless I'm really ready!

I may just replace the harness being I have one and see how that does.

I cleared the codes (which I think were attributed to me turning the key too quickly without GP engagement) and they haven't returned. I may be worrying about nothing.