www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 16th, 2019, 16:46   #1
jdulle
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 96 B4, 97 B4
Default vent selector disconnected

My 97 b4 has an issue with the vent selector on the climate control. Moving the dial from defrost through all the other settings changes nothing. It is stuck on face only...I could really use a little feet and defrost this time of year. So I looked at the back of the climate control board in the junkyard to see how it works. I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to get in there to move the cable a little. I am not too concerned this time of year with totally fixing it. Do you think I could take out some of those buttons, for the defroster, and brake light to gain access?
jdulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 16:53   #2
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Does the dial turn freely, without resistance? It’s all cable driven, so something may have gotten loose. I wouldn’t be surprised if the plastic broke at the cable clip

Remove the dash fascia. It’s only a few screws, then 4 screws for the control panel.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 22:23   #3
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Does the dial turn freely, without resistance? Itís all cable driven, so something may have gotten loose. I wouldnít be surprised if the plastic broke at the cable clip

Remove the dash fascia. Itís only a few screws, then 4 screws for the control panel.

-Todd
My thoughts too, the mounting for this is on the bottom front edge of the hvac box, they are very flimsy, mine is currently broken.

It's either broken, cable got disconnected or the arm that controls the door got disconnected or broken.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 15:25   #4
jdulle
Veteran Member

I'll try taking the facia off, and taking the control panel off. Yes it feels like its just spinning with no resistance. I am not too worried about it being connected as long as I get a little air to the feet and the windshield through the winter.
Old November 18th, 2019, 23:56   #5
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulle View Post
I'll try taking the facia off, and taking the control panel off. Yes it feels like its just spinning with no resistance. I am not too worried about it being connected as long as I get a little air to the feet and the windshield through the winter.
You'll need to pull the front section of the console out, that's how far down the attachment for this cable is.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 15:29   #6
jdulle
Veteran Member

I am still working on this. I got the trim from around the dials off, and all four screws for the climate control unit off, but there is another plastic frame blocking it from coming out. So I will take the console out and possibly follow the frame up and take out any screws holding it in.