www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 8th, 2018, 21:03   #76
50mpgtdi

Fuel Economy: 36-41MPG

Well..... the time has come. Another transmission with another broken 3rd gear sync ring. Time to spend the money I wish I had when I started this project. I'll talk to Frans about a transmission, Malone about tuning, and whitebread about a flywheel abd clutch set up. Anyone suggest anything different?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
50mpgtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:39   #77
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Im running a malone stage 2 from whitbread, fx300 and flyweel also from matt and the same dvz tranny as you. Still sub 10k on the swap but no issues with grinding of any gears. The DVZ is not more or less strong than any of the euro TDI transmissions (5 speeds). Not only do i run her pretty spirited daily, i also tow with her.

If you want to get into debate over more teeth=less meat= less strength with gears debate then we can split hairs but on stage 2 or less level all of them will be about the same in strength minus the po factor.

I still believe the rev hang and light flywheel are the culprit. The 4x4 guys have been putting heavier flywheels on gasser motors for ages to aid in shifting while under load (dual transfer cases add tons of drive train slop) and while im shifting at a simiar rpm to you my throttle has reduced to a vw engineers(or malone) suggested throttle position.

The proper gearing would rock on the freeway, but the euro tranny by itself isn't going to cure the issue.
Old July 9th, 2018, 08:33   #78
50mpgtdi

Yea, that tune and flywheel/clutch are my plan as well. I agree that the light flywheel and rev hang are the issues here too. I realize that the euro trans will not be stronger, but I'm at the point where I can now afford to do this all the right way instead of piecing it together on a budget, so I want to do this one last time. I figure I can justify spending the money on a euro trans since I'll be doing the good flywheel and tune and I shouldn't have to worry about damaging another transmission.
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:51   #79
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Frans also sells a dual mass flyweel that SHOULD handle the torque of a stage 2 tune so you'll have a few options. Only needing the transmisson (no brackets, linkage or other parts) really brings down the cost.

The whitbread clutch is awesome after about 1500 miles. That break in was neck breaking.
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:55   #80
50mpgtdi

What was so bad about the break in?

Old July 9th, 2018, 12:57   #81
50mpgtdi

I think id rather have the whitebread set up.... seen to many failed dual mass flywheels and I want something better than "should" haha. I don't want to have to do this again any time soon.

Old July 9th, 2018, 15:20   #82
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Kevlar takes a a while to break in. It will chatter like mad. I have the fx300
Old July 9th, 2018, 15:25   #83
50mpgtdi

I can't imagine its any worse than the ceramic 6 puck I had at first. Haha!

Old July 9th, 2018, 18:19   #84
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Lol...very true. Once broken it its nice. Because it's a 240mm flyweel the pressure plate gives a stock-ish pedal feel. It's very smooth now. Only a little chatter when cold, once you go a mile or two she's ready to go.
Old July 9th, 2018, 18:55   #85
50mpgtdi

Good to know! I appreciate your help.

Old July 12th, 2018, 08:46   #86
50mpgtdi

I placed the order on the whitbread flywheel and fx300 clutch kit. Very prompt service from him, easy to do business with, shipped out same day! In the process of ordering a DUK transmission from Frans. Hopefully if all goes well, I can have everything by next weekend!
Old July 16th, 2018, 12:39   #87
50mpgtdi

The order process on the transmission took a little longer than I hoped, mostly because of the time zone difference, so same day communication is limited. However, I completed the order for a DUK transmission today. Hope to have everything here by middle of next week now.
Old July 16th, 2018, 13:13   #88
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Sweet dude. Let me know how you like it vs the dvz. Im still doing 1 hr one way trips every weekend at 3000 or so rpms, the car doesnt seem to mind.

Been looking at some suvs to put my extra bhw in, gearing on those with 32/33 inch tires will all be about 3000 rpms @ 70 mph.

Really want a diatsu rocky soft top but a discovery with an ax15/dana 300 rolling on cable locker 33/12.5s would also be sweet.
Old July 16th, 2018, 13:21   #89
50mpgtdi

Yea, will do. I'm sure it will be great. I'm interested to see how it will effect the fuel economy. What do you normally get with yours?

Old July 16th, 2018, 14:11   #90
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mpgtdi View Post
Yea, will do. I'm sure it will be great. I'm interested to see how it will effect the fuel economy. What do you normally get with yours?

Glad to see you got a DUK with a nice clutch setup, let me know how you like that setup. I love the DMF and clutch I got from frans when I originally did mine, only comment I've gotten on it from a buddy of mine who drove it was that its fairly heavy compared to his stock 2006 Jetta.

If you can keep your foot out of it you'll be in the high 30s, low 40s if you maintain the speed limit =P

Even having fun with it I'm probably averaging around 35mpg, on all the twisty back roads here in CT.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote