www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:32   #1
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Default First TDI Road Trip Planning

Hey everyone,

I might have to travel for work this weekend, and I've never had either of my TDIs out of the state of MN yet. This means unknowns with bio-diesel content, etc. I plan on carrying a grey bottle of the PowerService additive since the temps will be above 30 for the whole trip. The route I'll be taking will mostly be US highway as that is the most direct route to St. Louis, MO. I should only have to fill once or twice for the whole trip.

Since I'll be using PowerService, does it really matter where I'll fill up, as long as they sell diesel and are on the main route?
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:41   #2
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilliwack)

You always find a DIESEL pump. Lots of Truck Stops. You should have no problem in keeping your Tank FULL. Have a safe trip and save.
TDI smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:23   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Only problem you might have is finding a pump with the right filler neck, if you have the fuel restrictor. Don't go to truck pumps. I've found that even on places like the Ohio Turnpike it can be difficult to find the smaller nozzles.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:41   #4
mrcowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
Hey everyone,
I might have to travel for work this weekend, and I've never had either of my TDIs out of the state of MN yet. This means unknowns with bio-diesel content, etc. I plan on carrying a grey bottle of the PowerService additive since the temps will be above 30 for the whole trip. The route I'll be taking will mostly be US highway as that is the most direct route to St. Louis, MO. I should only have to fill once or twice for the whole trip.
Since I'll be using PowerService, does it really matter where I'll fill up, as long as they sell diesel and are on the main route?
No, it won't matter where you fill up, as long as it's ULSD and a compatible nozzle. Your car doesn't need the PowerService, but if it makes you feel better, it's your money.
mrcowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:21   #5
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowden View Post
No, it won't matter where you fill up, as long as it's ULSD and a compatible nozzle. Your car doesn't need the PowerService, but if it makes you feel better, it's your money.
It's more for a lubricity additive than anything. I don't use additive here in MN because of the B5 mandate.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:21   #6
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilliwack)

Most Truck Stops have a pump with CAR Hose.
TDI smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 16:02   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Not that I've found in the US. In fact, many car pumps in Ohio/Michigan/NY/PA don't have the smaller nozzle. My usual station here in MA doesn't either.
Old March 10th, 2014, 19:24   #8
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Not that I've found in the US. In fact, many car pumps in Ohio/Michigan/NY/PA don't have the smaller nozzle. My usual station here in MA doesn't either.
This is good stuff to figure out before the big road trip to Florida later this year.

Are there certain brand of truck stops that tend to have car pumps as well? Or is that hit or miss?
Old March 10th, 2014, 19:44   #9
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I've fueled in IL/WI/MN/IN/MI/KY and never had an issue once with a truck nozzle. I need to get out of the Midwest.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:24   #10
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiSkater View Post
I've fueled in IL/WI/MN/IN/MI/KY and never had an issue once with a truck nozzle. I need to get out of the Midwest.
I haven't tried to put a truck nozzle in the JSW yet. It doesn't have the mis-fuel guard installed. Just the obnoxious warning label around the filler neck in case I forget it needs diesel.
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:37   #11
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

I tried once to use a high flow truck nozzle, actually twice (before the misfuel restrictor was installed). If you find one, It will make you laugh as it's big and will not fit (restrictor or not). Luckily these were dual diesel pumps, so I just picked up the other hose with the auto nozzle.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:48   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I doubt that you'll have any issues in your travels finding the right pumps. Remember that you're going across farm land where a lot of the pickups are diesel and have to be filled somewhere. If in doubt, just ask the attendant. They should know which pumps have a car nozzle.

Best route recommendation is 35 south to US20 east. Pick up I380 outside of Waterloo. It will turn into Iowa 218 south of Iowa City. Once you cross the Missouri line, it turns into US 65 and runs right into St Louis. Some where near St Louis, you'll run through oil hammers area.

Last edited by kjclow; March 10th, 2014 at 20:57.
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:48   #13
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

If you stop at a truck stop, go to the CAR side of the truck stop. IF they have diesel on the CAR side, they should also have CAR SIZED fuel pump nozzles.

I have never had a problem finding car sized nozzles anywhere in the midwest and southwest USA.

MO,IA,KS,AR,NM,AZ,NV,OK,TX,ND,SD,WY,NE,CO,UT,IL,OH . And several other states I have surely overlooked.

Fill up when your car has half a tank left so that you have a 300 mile range left to 'find' the right station. I am sure you will find a good reason to stop earlier, I always do...

Have a great trip, things will be fine!!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:14   #14
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I doubt that you'll have any issues in your travels finding the right pumps. Remember that you're going across farm land where a lot of the pickups are diesel and have to be filled somewhere. If in doubt, just ask the attendant. They should know which pumps have a car nozzle.

Best route recommendation is 35 south to US20 east. Pick up I380 outside of Waterloo. It will turn into Iowa 218 south of Iowa City. Once you cross the Missouri line, it turns into US 65 and runs right into St Louis. Some where near St Louis, you'll run through oil hammers area.
My route is almost identical to that, except I usually pick up US 18 just outside of Mason City. It's 4 lane, 65 MPH highway all the way down to Waterloo and kinda goes in a diagonal line after Charles City towards Waterloo.
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:19   #15
PacketHauler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
My route is almost identical to that, except I usually pick up US 18 just outside of Mason City. It's 4 lane, 65 MPH highway all the way down to Waterloo and kinda goes in a diagonal line after Charles City towards Waterloo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post

And now that I look at that route on Google, US 20 makes more sense, since you bypass that 30 MPH portion of Waterloo on 218 with the stop lights. Good call.