www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 28th, 1999, 22:44   #1
Dr. Piech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none
Default new diesel engine plant in Poland

Perhaps this will help get more TDI's into the supply pipeline...

POLKOWICE, Poland -- Volkswagen AG opened a factory in Poland to build engines for the full line of VW-brand vehicles.
The company said it invested 100 million deutsche marks ($53 million or 50.8 million euros) in the factory, which will build four-cylinder diesel engines to be delivered to 19 VW assembly plants. The motors can be used in either cars or light trucks.
The factory has capacity to build as many as 540,000 engines a year and employ up to 650 people, though only 350 workers are employed there now.
"Polkowice will be an important leg in the structure of the aggregated factories of our concern," said VW Chief Executive Ferdinand Piech in a statement.
Dr. Piech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 1999, 01:00   #2
jtm

Default Re: new diesel engine plant in Poland

I've heard about all the problems with first year Jettas and Beetles from the Mexican plants. I don't believe Mexican or Polish workers are any worse than German workers, but it seems VW plants (and probably other companies) need a little time to get the bugs out (no pun intended). Wouldn't want a VW with the first engines from that Polish plant.

Tai

[This message has been edited by jtm (edited August 29, 1999).]
jtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 1999, 08:25   #3
Strack
Veteran Member

It sounds like VW forsees a large market for their diesel powerplants. In Europe where motor fuel is taxed beyond belief, diesel would seem to be very popular. First generation VW products do tend to be somewhat troublesome, but let's wait and see.

VW's assembly plant in PA, was quite a effiecient operation, but compared to incredibly low labor and tax costs in Mexico, any US or Industrialized European operation would be doomed. I'm sure the labor cost are quite low in Poland. Remember, follow the money trail when searching for at least part of the answer.
Strack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 1999, 19:38   #4
dalcorn

I do not follow the automotive industry, but my impression was that engine plants were supposed to be expensive. VW's capital investment in this plant is less than $100 per engine (annual production capacity). VW has a lot on its plate to rationalize production equipment, order supply and delivery chains, train workers, and reach rough consensus with the work force regarding work practices. Lets hope that they execute well and that those greedy Europeans do not keep all the TDI's for themselves.
dalcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 1999, 20:44   #5
mickey

Finally! This is the news I've wanted to hear for a long time. I don't care where they make the things, as long as they make a lot of them!

-mickey