www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 6th, 2009, 14:44   #1
JERMS
Veteran Member

Default Anybody heard of Speed Tuning?

I originally found them on ebay. They're local to me and specialize in german cars and they have good prices on their chips and tuning boxes. According to their website they are based in Austria and have been around since '96. Anybody have any experience with them or even heard of them? I don't want to put my car in the hands of inexperienced or faulty tuners.

EDIT: Forgot the website... http://www.speedtuningusa.com/

JERMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 14:46   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have had a couple customers with ALH cars that have SpeedtuningUSA chips in them. Work OK, not the greatest for driveability but this was a while ago.
Old January 6th, 2009, 15:28   #4
JERMS
Veteran Member

Thanks for the threads. At this point, I think I might steer clear of these guys and maybe go for nozzles first. I see you keep saying "if you compare side by side you'll notice why". Would you like to indulge? That really doesn't mean much to me.

Old January 6th, 2009, 15:30   #5
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Mr. Jerms, a brief summary would be as follows: Some peoples' programming is more complete than others
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 16:07   #6
JERMS
Veteran Member

Ok.. So what does that translate into in real world terms?

Old January 6th, 2009, 16:44   #7
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

most people here consider Jeff from rocket chip to be the most competent chip tuner available

I just leave my opinion as that, other exist but Jeff has the best reputation
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 18:39   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The ones that I drove seemed very similar to some earlier Upsolute programs, which meant the power was either on or off...not very linear. And seemed kinda smokey to me.

But this was a while ago, do not assume that everything has remained the same based on what a 2001 model car was like in 2003.

I like the RC programs better myself from a driveability standpoint. But on an ALH my first mod would be bigger nozzles with stock programming (just one step up nozzles, not anything crazy).
Old January 6th, 2009, 18:43   #9
majesty78
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW Polo ASZ
Fuel Economy: 30mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERMS
I originally found them on ebay. They're local to me and specialize in german cars and they have good prices on their chips and tuning boxes. According to their website they are based in Austria and have been around since '96. Anybody have any experience with them or even heard of them? I don't want to put my car in the hands of inexperienced or faulty tuners.

EDIT: Forgot the website... http://www.speedtuningusa.com/
I am located in Austria, and i never heard of them before....

Greets, Alex
Old January 6th, 2009, 20:01   #10
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ohh...I'd say bout 42mpg

DO NOT USE!!!!!!!!! I had one of these in my car, the guy is in Maryland and I was able to go to his place of business(small trailer that was messy and filthy) His name is Oliver, and he has a great German accent but is actually from Austria. Jeff from rocket chip trained him, and let him go as he was sloppy. I dont want to start a war over tuners, but I have a rocket chip. RC is local to me, if I lived further west I may have used Alligator, but wanted local service. From countless hours of reading the forums on Freds I would ONLY use one of these tuners. So back to the SPEEDTUNING I went to a GTG and had Jeff look at my car and the internal maps inside the computer and what should have been done was not. I paid a second time to have the rocketchip installed and WOW! what a difference. Better mileage, much, much more power and no cel's. If you want to pay twice, get speedtuning, if ya want to pay once for a quality product and a very, very knowlageable tuner use RC or alligator.
2004 Jetta PD-RC race, 17/22,stg.IIcoltcam PD150 Inj.,Rosten Rods, Ported head,PP DP, cat delete/2 1/2" piping/Magnaflo muffler, R32 airbox/snorkle,PD150 TIP, SB stg 3 ,NSboost/egt gauges, BBS RS II's, Koni FSD/Eibach Kit, M3 side skirts/ rearwindow spoiler,GLI F/R lips FK bumper scoops

LiLredTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 17:30   #11
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
The ones that I drove seemed very similar to some earlier Upsolute programs, which meant the power was either on or off...not very linear. And seemed kinda smokey to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer

But this was a while ago, do not assume that everything has remained the same based on what a 2001 model car was like in 2003.

I like the RC programs better myself from a driveability standpoint. But on an ALH my first mod would be bigger nozzles with stock programming (just one step up nozzles, not anything crazy).
Good reason for that can you guess where he gets is tunings?. I know he told me he could do a better ship then my Upsolute and all the ones we tried were crap and he would not put mine back in . I know other chip tuners that have said the chips are knock off. I know he said money back if he were not better but in 6 years I have yet to see my refund. Buyer beware.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.

Last edited by Birdman; January 7th, 2009 at 17:34.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 22:03   #12
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

haha, I actually have a spare ECU that's done by speedtuning... I haven't driven the car with that ecu yet so I can't compare.. I have RC3 in my regular ECU.. I'll try swapping to see the difference.. I know someone with a 98 beetle that was speetuned.. it was twitchy to drive and had slowdown shudder no matter where the IQ was..