www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:25   #1
Octang Frye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A5 Jetta
Default Planning a road trip in July - need advice

I'm going to take my first road trip this July, driving from Denver to Las Vegas, and then through Death Valley, out to Los Angeles. And back.

Is there anything I need to do to prepare my car for the temperatures in Death Valley? I know the PD engine is very efficient and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

What other advice/tips do you have for this 2,000 mile road trip?

A quick aside; apart from numerous rattles, buzzes, bolts falling out of door hinges, ditto with bolts that hold the door skins on, I'm enjoying driving my car. I do a mixed bag of in-town driving and highway. So far, I'm getting almost 41 mpg with 8K on the car. :-)
Octang Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:33   #2
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Advice is one word .. Enjoy.

I was driving through that area some years ago with my 1976 VW Rabbit diesel. We stopped at a rest area and I was talking to one of the locals who was laughing at all the fools from out of the area. Most were nursing overheated cars. His comments were along the lines that if they just knew enough (like I did) not to try and use their A/C they would have been fine. I did not have the heart to explain that I had my A/C on all the way and it never went above normal.

I do suggest carrying some extra water and a cell phone. You never know. Also have fun.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:23   #3
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Cool

Carry an extra container of 505.01 oil. You can't find in at any old place.
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:36   #4
TDI 4 RD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 mpg (first tank); 41.2 (second tank); now averaging ~42 mpg.

I would also suggest an extra fuel filter - just in case you get a bad batch of fuel / bio. Also take a socket wrench with T25 (very common for the car) and T30 (filter cannister) bits, and 10mm socket (for the battery). (Hey, you never know!).
2006 Jetta TDI (build date Oct. 2005). 185000 miles. Mods: Euro LED Tail Lights, Amber Mode; Rear Fog Light; Aspherical Mirrors (Blue Tint); Osram SilverStar Hi/Lo Beams; DieselGeek SkidPlate; Hella Dynabeams; TDIFrostheater. Best Tank: 632.9 miles on 11.8 gallons = 53.6 mpg (06/08; cruise control set at 65 mph for most of the tank). Member of the 700 club (04/23/08).
TDI 4 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:43   #5
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Carry an extra liter of the proper oil and an extra fuel filter.... You never know when you'll need it.
Your A5 should have zero problems with a trip like this(or any trip for that matter).
EDIT, While I was typing, RD summed it up....I'd like to suggest you tint your windows if you haven't already... well worth it.EDIT

ENJOY!!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.

Last edited by 40X40; May 6th, 2007 at 08:46.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote