www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 19th, 2009, 19:48   #736
wtdi2k

Fuel Economy: 42 - 43 mpg, all the time!!

Add to New Jersey:
Reydel VW (dealership)
Ask For SERGEI -the TDI man
Highway Rt 27
Edison, NJ
wtdi2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:51   #737
ninedee_golf_tdi

I tried to open your file K5ING, but my computer doesn't recognize the .kmz extension. What do you use to open it with ?
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:25   #738
K5ING
Mega-Miler

Fuel Economy: 46 mixed/51 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
I tried to open your file K5ING, but my computer doesn't recognize the .kmz extension. What do you use to open it with ?
You have to have Google Earth installed on your computer.

Silver 2001 2 dr. Golf GL TDI 5-speed (original owner)
445,000+ miles and climbing!
SOLD 10/2017 to member alphaseinor. It's in good hands.
DFW TDI List

Last edited by K5ING; April 20th, 2009 at 09:29.
K5ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:01   #739
CSM Jetta
Veteran Member

hey quick question. i've been getting stuff done (tires, alignment, etc) on my '02 jetta tdi by Brad at the Digital Chassis in Durham, NC. He is an expert with suspension, tires etc. I was wonering if anyone here has used him for performance work. He's really close to my house so it's convenient and he's a great guy. I'm not sure if he's listed as a "trusted TDi mechanic" but he does lots of work on porsche, VW and other german cars both performance and handling.

anyone had experience with him?

Last edited by CSM Jetta; April 21st, 2009 at 12:04.
CSM Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:29   #740
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (670k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM Jetta
hey quick question. i've been getting stuff done (tires, alignment, etc) on my '02 jetta tdi by Brad at the Digital Chassis in Durham, NC. He is an expert with suspension, tires etc. I was wonering if anyone here has used him for performance work. He's really close to my house so it's convenient and he's a great guy. I'm not sure if he's listed as a "trusted TDi mechanic" but he does lots of work on porsche, VW and other german cars both performance and handling.
He sounds like an excellent mechanic. It also sounds like he is not a TDI mechanic.
'03 Golf with 670k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDICLUB? Have PAYPAL? Then thank Fred with $1 or $5 or $10 TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:31   #741
CSM Jetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
He sounds like an excellent mechanic. It also sounds like he is not a TDI mechanic.
ya i didn't think he was a trusted TDI mechanic but i know he does work on diesels. Anyone worked with him?

I've talked to him about it and he said he could do it and i trust him 100% but would like some feedback if there is any available.
CSM Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 18:22   #742
K5ING
Mega-Miler

Fuel Economy: 46 mixed/51 highway

Just my 2 cents worth here (and worth every penny). A few years ago, I took my Golf to a very well respected VW-Audi shop in Dallas. This guy had been in business for years, ran a race-dedicated Golf in SCCA events, and had people coming hundreds of miles to use his services. He said a timing belt would be no biggie for him.

He screwed the pooch not once, but twice when I tried to let him make good on the screwup. It was a true TDI guru (MoGolf) who took one look at his work under my hood, rolled up his sleeves, and fixed it right.

Being an expert with Volkswagen's doesn't mean he's an expert with TDI engines. Your guy might be an excellent TDI man, and you're doing the right thing by checking here to see if anyone else has used him. However, unless you wish to run the risk of "taking one for the team", I'd suggest an established TDI guru from the list. IF you do use him, be sure to report back so he can be considered being added.

As an aside, what critria is used for adding someone to the list? I don't think that just one positive report should be enough. Any thoughts?

Silver 2001 2 dr. Golf GL TDI 5-speed (original owner)
445,000+ miles and climbing!
SOLD 10/2017 to member alphaseinor. It's in good hands.
DFW TDI List
K5ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:06   #743
Archer

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Fuel Economy: 47 average
Thumbs up Jeff Harrison is the man

Took my Golf to Jeff for a timing adjustment - which he did. He took the time to inspect the timing belt replacement previously done by my "regular" mechanic. He spotted an incorrectly installed (and broken) tensioner, made me aware of the specific defect, what made it a defect, and possible issues that could arise. It was close enough to a timing belt change, so I scheduled the replacement for the following weekend. Long story short, Jeff professionally serviced my Golf and went well beyond my expectations. My fuel economy increased 20% and overall performance improved as well. Very personable, detail oriented guy, and highly recommended any day of the week.
Old April 27th, 2009, 18:59   #744
jharrison

TDI(s): x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer
Took my Golf to Jeff for a timing adjustment - which he did. He took the time to inspect the timing belt replacement previously done by my "regular" mechanic. He spotted an incorrectly installed (and broken) tensioner, made me aware of the specific defect, what made it a defect, and possible issues that could arise. It was close enough to a timing belt change, so I scheduled the replacement for the following weekend. Long story short, Jeff professionally serviced my Golf and went well beyond my expectations. My fuel economy increased 20% and overall performance improved as well. Very personable, detail oriented guy, and highly recommended any day of the week.
Thanks for the kind words.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 21:44   #745
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (670k miles)

If you live in the Rapid City SD area, or if you are traveling through on your way to Sturgis or Mount Rushmore, there is now a recommended TDI mechanic in your area.

We've added Hairy Cannonball -- also known as Tim -- to the list from Rapid City, South Dakota. He came to my attention in this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2544628
'03 Golf with 670k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirellis, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDICLUB? Have PAYPAL? Then thank Fred with $1 or $5 or $10 TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 19:07   #746
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Admin , please remove Genes Foreign Car service , Broomall , PA from this list. Their botched T-belt service almost cost me my engine
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 20:24   #747
jerryofva
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 40s combined suburban/freeway

Has anybody used Volkswerkes in Falls Church VA? I live in Arlington and it would sure be nice not to have to take my TDI to Sterling for service.
2000 Dodge Intrepid
jerryofva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 18:08   #748
Boggie105

Fuel Economy: 38/48

Just bought a 2003 TDI with 120K, and took it to Jon's Auto in Marysville, OH (http://www.jonsautocare.com/) for a timing belt change. Very professional and knowledgeable, he was able to fit me in on short notice. I will defiantly be going back!
Boggie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 19:35   #749
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie105
I will defiantly be going back!
You don't have to go back defiantly... we're all big fans of Jon Hamilton...

Glad you found him (and the TDI-Club !!!!)

Yuri
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 20:56   #750
sgtpopeye43

Fuel Economy: 38-44
Talking Meganuke aka Keith good guy in CT

Hi VW troops,
Meganuke did a timing belt job on my 03 Jetta TDI and I am very pleased with his work. I have experienced more power and improved fuel mileage since the TB replacement.
Thank you Keith
sgtpopeye43 is offline   Reply With Quote