Garrett T15 028145701Q Help!

boosthunta

TDI
Golf 3
Hey guys i'm newbie in TDI. I have 1Z TDI with T15 028145701Q is that same as GT15? What's the difference between that turbos? I have searched on internet but I can't find nothing. I only found GT15 specs. What's max power of T15? Can I make some hybrid turbo from that?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
answered in your other thread but ill put it here for future search purposes.

its the stock GT15 that came on the 1Z up till like 1997 when VW started using the K03 instead. you can hybridize it with GT17 cold side parts.

the limiting factor is the very small turbine housing. It can only flow so much before you have excessive exhaust manifold pressures and she just runs outta wind.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
T-series is an earlier generation to the GT-series. There are lots of better options available now from bolt-on (GT15/KO3), and their respective hybrids with GT17/KO4, to minor fabrication work (matching flanges) and a many VNT options that require appropriate N75 and ECU programing. Your early 1Z likely uses an MSA ECU so you are limited to reprogramming options to accept a VNT turbo, but ECU/harness replacements with something more recent are certainly possible too.