TDIFest PDX 2010 Registration

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
tomo366 said:
2912 miles..........I do not have the time or the ambition to spend 8 days on the road driving by myself.........
So this will be my 2nd miss...........:(
Driving directions to 8235 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97220
2,784 mi – about 1 day 21 hours

Suggested routes
I-80 W and I-84 W
2,784 mi1 day 21 hours

By Google Maps it will only take less tha 2 days, come on it will be a fun drive.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
GTDI4 said:
Driving directions to 8235 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97220
2,784 mi – about 1 day 21 hours

Suggested routes
I-80 W and I-84 W
2,784 mi1 day 21 hours

By Google Maps it will only take less tha 2 days, come on it will be a fun drive.
Yeah 45 hours if you never sleep. I'm driving it and I'm planning on 4 12 hour days.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Zippy_car said:
That's better. There's nothing wrong with getting to fest via airplane... i've been doing it for the last 3 fests! :eek:
Sure there is.......I can't take my show winning TDI on an Airplane.......

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
tomo366 said:
Sure there is.......I can't take my show winning TDI on an Airplane.......
sure ya can! it'll just be more expensive. ;) Going to TDIFest without your TDI isn't as terrible as it sounds. just means that you have to ask for a ride, instead of giving them. :p;)... to the local attractions and separate group meet up's, of course.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Zippy_car said:
sure ya can! it'll just be more expensive. ;) Going to TDIFest without your TDI isn't as terrible as it sounds. just means that you have to ask for a ride, instead of giving them. :p;)
I haven't brought a TDI for the last 2 years..........:eek:

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Drive Drive Drive

Yellowknife, to Whitehorse, to Skagway, Ferry to Prince Rupert, Ferry over to Queen Charlotte Islands, back to mainland and Ferry to Vancouver Island, back to mainland and on to Portland.

Rocking and Rolling the whole way :)

I will need a guru service in Portland, and I won't be winning the Show and Shine.

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
tomo366 said:
LOL......Yeh, I am going to do that........If I go it will be an Airplane or a Train or both.......
Just think, your own version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles:D

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
tongboy said:
best side of the Mississippi!

VW's are damn popular in the PDX - twice so for TDI's, they'll be a great showing
I do not doubt that it will be a good show, last 2 years that I have been to GTG in PDX, I have seen way more TDI's there on the freeway than here, and also in the Seattle area, so I am very sure there will be a good showing for all the TDI's at the fest.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
90 days to wait!

I've revised my travel plans. I had been thinking of 1000 mile days (about 20 hours with breaks), but now I'm thinking 800 miles (about 16 hrs).

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Lug_Nut said:
90 days to wait!

I've revised my travel plans. I had been thinking of 1000 mile days (about 20 hours with breaks), but now I'm thinking 800 miles (about 16 hrs).
So, I've done the math & I don't see how it's possible...that's 50mph average. When did you start driving that fast? :p Which car are you planning on taking this year?

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
Lug_Nut said:
90 days to wait!

why not just raise your average travel speed from 50 to 65 (drive at 70 + breaks) and you'll be able to do well in excess of 1k days in 16 hrs instead?

fuel efficiency is cool but has to be balanced with cost of time as well.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
tongboy said:
why not just raise your average travel speed from 50 to 65 (drive at 70 + breaks) and you'll be able to do well in excess of 1k days in 16 hrs instead?

fuel efficiency is cool but has to be balanced with cost of time as well.
LOL.. that's funny... that's just not the Lug_nut way. :rolleyes: he wouldn't be him, if he went any faster... but he might be more him if he went slower. :) the essence of Economy, Longevity, and...a different kind of Performance. :cool:

TheGrove

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
90 days to wait!

Yep, that's why I went with about 700-750 (around 12 hours), or roughly the distance from my house to Oilhammers.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Are you aware that B99 and B100 retail locations are so far apart, or that they generally are open from 8 to 5, or that if I go faster I'll just have to wait for them to open in the morning?

So far I have tentative route of Home -> Pittsburgh, PA -> Iowa City, IA -> Tulsa, OK -> Denver, CO -> Midvale, UT -> Reno, NV -> Portland, OR.
The longest stretch is Pittsburgh to Iowa City: 670 miles. Ho-hum half-a-tank in a B4 Passat, pushing the limit of a B5.5 Passat, but a nail-biting feather foot drive in an A3 Cabrio.

The 50 mph estimate is a guide I used to account for all the time (door-to-door) including construction zones, accidents, stop&go, fuel and food breaks, 20 minute power naps and such, back when I used to annually drive 40k miles for work. A client calls with "my equipment is down, when will you be here", you don't estimate 65 mph as the crow flies. You hedge a bit. My moving average is higher, but year after year, total trip time over total distance is pretty darned close to 50 mph.

Westerbeke

TDI
not yet
Lug_Nut said:
So far I have tentative route of Home -> Pittsburgh, PA -> Iowa City, IA -> Tulsa, OK -> Denver, CO -> Midvale, UT -> Reno, NV -> Portland, OR.
The longest stretch is Pittsburgh to Iowa City: 670 miles. Ho-hum half-a-tank in a B4 Passat, pushing the limit of a B5.5 Passat, but a nail-biting feather foot drive in an A3 Cabrio.
:confused: This seems a bit of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Google maps shows your route is more than 4000 miles. You run less than B100 in the cooler weather when you think you might gel, but you'll actively plan to burn an extra 15 gallons of fuel and travel an extra 700 miles each way to and from the Fest to avoid blending? How is this different than taking the shorter route and dumping the 30 gallons of fuel in your driveway.

Drop Tulsa and Reno and your longest leg grows by about 100 miles. Bring a 3 gallon jug on the trip and run B100 the whole way, or top off in Omaha with B2, you'll run on B70+ to Denver and save 400 miles. Drop Reno and top off in Boise and do the same on that leg as well.

Of course if you don't care how much fuel you burn, only what kind ...

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Hey, Dudes! It's a party!
Just an update for everyone, a bunch of new threads have been started in the TDIFest 2010 section! go check it out!
We're like... finalizing the planing... an' stuff. :)

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hmmmm....

About 4300km from Toronto, with an average speed of about 100k/ph, adding various stops for the three "F"s (Food, Fuel and Fatigue), I estimate it to be about a 50hour drive (ish)....

Hmmmm I did do a solo drive from Toronto to San Jose in 52hours, but I was younger then :p...

See ya..

MrVermin

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I wonder if I can convince the wife to go....

Leg I: TUL to DEN (~12h)
Leg II: DEN to BOI (~13h)
Leg III: BOI to PDX (~7h)

Some of this trip also coincides with the Oregon Trail. I wonder if I can float the river at The Dalles?

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
I wonder if I can convince the wife to go....

Leg I: TUL to DEN (~12h)
Leg II: DEN to BOI (~13h)
Leg III: BOI to PDX (~7h)

Some of this trip also coincides with the Oregon Trail. I wonder if I can float the river at The Dalles?
Sure ya can!! Just show her all the fun things there are to do in Portland! :D it makes a great vacation destination for all! :cool:
The Families Club

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
The list is growing! The list is growing! YAY!!!
Just a friendly reminder, folks -regular registration price ends on Aug 1! Then the price goes up to $40! Get it cheaper now, save yourself the $5 to get extra raffle tickets!!