99 Beetle timing belt replaced, now engine light on

h20falls

TDI
99 Beetle
I just had the timing belt replaced on my 99 Beetle and the engine light is now randomly coming on. My makeshift mechanic took it to a shop and the code says fuel injector pump error. The car drives great and I feel no issue with it, drives just as it did before the service. He and the shop that read the code haven't come up with a positive suggestion on fixing the issue. Any advise that you could impart would be much appreciated. It does drive fantastic. I did have a random person from my work who used to work as a mechanic tell me that the timing between the injector pump and the belt is off and generating a code. Thanks for your help.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
did your makeshift mechanic use all the lock down tools for the engine and follow the correct procedure for changing the timing belt (including loosening the cam pulley)?

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
It does sound to me like the IP is out of time, that shouldn't be possible if the tools were used and the cam pulley was loosened.

I'd verify what procedure he used, the instructions are the third link in my sig.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yes, he did follow the correct procedure. The code coming up is 1248, injector control start malfunction.
By following the corect procedure, did he finish by checking/adjusting the timing w/VCDS?? If everything was done "correctly" (which I think perhaps not) then it sounds like an IP issue, which would be odd that would come along right after your TB service.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds like your "makeshift mechanic" did not do the job correctly. Would seem really strange that this issue suddenly popped up after the timing belt was changed. Will the pump's timing hold? Where in the graph is it? Bouncing a lot? Is the adjustment slots' about centered on the bolts, or yanked off extreme to one side?

h20falls

TDI
99 Beetle
yes, all great points. I am taking it to a tdiclub recommended mechanic today to trouble shoot. Thank you for all the comments. I really appreciate it.