Sometimes door won't lock or unlock

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
All of my doors lock and unlock just fine except for the right rear. Sometimes it works fine and other times I have to manually push down the plunger to lock it or reach in and pull the handle to unlock it. Can I lubricate the door lock plunger or do I just need to buy a new one? If I need to replace it then where can I buy it other then a dealer? Either online or a parts store is fine.

perrone

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
I had the same problem and eventually the door lock stopped working all together followed by another door doing the same. Turned out being my CCM going bad, you may want to look into that. You can find a used one from someone on the forum here for under $20.

Also, personally I would NEVER buy anything from the dealer. They overprice everything.

ncjdivadancer

TDI
01' Jetta
Similar thing is happening to passenger door of my NB..

When I lock via the remote, the passenger door will sometimes not lock. However when I lock with the lock button on either of the doors, it always locks.

Is this the CCM going bad?

Also- when I lock via the remote and the passenger door doesn't lock- the alarm looks like it engages because all the red lights start flashing. But when you open the unlocked passenger door from the outside the alarm doesn't sound.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
perrone said:
I had the same problem and eventually the door lock stopped working all together followed by another door doing the same. Turned out being my CCM going bad, you may want to look into that. You can find a used one from someone on the forum here for under $20.

Also, personally I would NEVER buy anything from the dealer. They overprice everything.
So how do I go about finding a used CCM on this forum for $20? Is there a forum for buying and selling parts?

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
RedTDIowner said:
All of my doors lock and unlock just fine except for the right rear. Sometimes it works fine and other times I have to manually push down the plunger to lock it or reach in and pull the handle to unlock it. Can I lubricate the door lock plunger or do I just need to buy a new one? If I need to replace it then where can I buy it other then a dealer? Either online or a parts store is fine.

Im having that same issue same door right now!!!

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
for me its the driver door. Ive just been pressing the lock button on the fob, and then using the key to lock the driver door. unlock works just fine. i was really hoping it was just a lubrication thing. replacing the CCM would be kinda annoying. And i probably wouldnt do it just for a malfunctioning door lock. weird thing is it has worked once or twice, ive gone to lock the door with the key and the door is already locked. kinda odd when your car working the way it was designed to surprises you lol.

stoutguru

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
I would think that the door latch itself that is the problem and not the CCM. The door latches are prone to problems on the MK4 cars.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Well the door latch is almost $200 at the dealer. Any recommendations where I can buy one a lot cheaper?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
RedTDIowner said:
Well the door latch is almost $200 at the dealer. Any recommendations where I can buy one a lot cheaper?
There are posts about fixing it with a $3 switch from radio shack.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
You people are having an issue with the door switches more so then the CCM.

Here's the thread on the $3.00 Door Fix and here.

I had these issues two years ago costing me almost $700 USD for just two door switches w/labour. The micro switches are expensive and usually the labour is by the book ....no matter how long it takes they'll charge you full 1.5 hours a door or $300.00. Adds up quick.

If you have a 4 door, it's tough getting at those rear door switches. You have to remove the alloy pillar between the window that rolls down and the window that is fixed. The fixed window has to be moved out in order to get that huge locking mechanism freed.

The reason many of your are finding intermittent problems is due to the design of the circuit board where the circuit to actuate the door locking is mounted. It's like a tab, and when you slam the doors from the sheer weight of the slam flexes that piece of the exposed - or extended circuity. It eventually cracks. But there are times when you play around with the lock, via key or giggling you actually flex back the circuit board making contact to "lock" the door. Eventually it'll just snap completely.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Well now I have no idea if its the ccm or not. I went to that link in the post above and it states the problem is in the door. Honestly, I really have no interest in tearing my door apart. What I need to do is find someone in the Louisville Ky area that knows how to fix it besides a dealer.

Last edited:

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Yeah, mine does the same, again... And I just don't feel like opening the rear doors again. (okay driver's door is doing it again)

I guess you probably hear the lock trying to engage when you drive, but then it doesn't. Problem is in your door latch mechanism. A nice write-up/picture post about disassembly and so on is available on vwvortex's diy faq.

If your car indicate an open door on the instrument panel when you open the door with your ignition on, and the alarm arms, the door latch microswitch is fine.

Best is to open it up, play around with the remote and see what it does. You can pick up similar micro-switches from an electronic component store - for way cheaper than... Just test it with a multi-meter.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
RedTDIowner said:
Well now the left rear passenger door lock is doing the same thing. It seems to happen more and get worse when it is extremely hot or extremely cold. Does it sound like I need to replace it with that cheap Radio Shack switch after all?

theantirice

TDI
none
My passenger door locks perfectly, but the plunger is lazy on the way up. If I hit the unlock button (on the door control or key fob) the plunger will go about 1/2-3/4 up but the door stays locked. If I pull it up the rest of the way though, it will stay up by itself until I lock it again. Ideas?

azianjiu

TDI
2000 Jetta
theantirice said:
My passenger door locks perfectly, but the plunger is lazy on the way up. If I hit the unlock button (on the door control or key fob) the plunger will go about 1/2-3/4 up but the door stays locked. If I pull it up the rest of the way though, it will stay up by itself until I lock it again. Ideas?
I have the same exact problem on my passanger side door. I am thinking about attempting to oil the mechanism but I don't know where to do that. It sometimes goes all the way up and sometimes gets stuck (I'd say its 50/50)

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
azianjiu said:
I have the same exact problem on my passanger side door. I am thinking about attempting to oil the mechanism but I don't know where to do that. It sometimes goes all the way up and sometimes gets stuck (I'd say its 50/50)
I have the same problem on the same door too. 2000 Jetta. Anyone have a solution?