no power after head replacement

amtjeff

TDI
2000 golf tdi auto
Hi all, first thing is I just replaced the head after i had someone install a used injection pump and was then told car has no compression. So I loaded car up and took her home. found a head on ebay and installed it this weekend. Injection pump was way off soo had to time it manualy. good news is it starts like new and revs great in park, but no power when driving. unhooked maf sensor and that helped a little. Could the timing be off enough at the pump to cause this. this is my guess

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Do you have a VAG-COM?

You need to check the timing with the VAG-COM, also check to make sure the MAP sensor is plugged in (it is in one of two places, on the intercooler, or on the boost tube between the EGR and the intercooler). From there I would check to make sure you have all of your boost tubes plugged in... all vaccum lines to the right places... etc...

amtjeff

TDI
2000 golf tdi auto
ok I went and bought a bunch of vacume tubing. I'm going to check and replace all suspect lines. I will check the ecm also. I double checked all the sensor connections. all seem good. I have a appointment with the dealer thursday, hope to fix this before hand. will check turbo and acc also tomorrow.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Tell the dealer to bite your hog and take your car to Madison where I believe it's "Jettah" lives. Try that username and see if he can help.

amtjeff

TDI
2000 golf tdi auto
I read here that jason from madison is meeting in janesville on sunday, I should probaly hook up with him and have him take a look at it.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I'm going to look at his too on Sunday.

amtjeff

TDI
2000 golf tdi auto
well I replaced some vacume lines and I replaced the fuel return lines also. Cleaned a bunch of connectors and also checked that the map sensor was plugged in. all good. I also took off the lower turbo hoses and cleaned and inspected. I hooked up the obd 2 and had all kinds of messages. cleared all and took car around the block. still no power. I have a oil leak know and heard some air swooshing noises. so first thought is jason was right i have a blown head gasket. but the oil is coming from the cam shaft sprocket area so I'll look at that wed and look for swooshing also

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
It sounds like whoever did your TB may have fixed what wasn't necessarily broken, the cam seal. Who knows what else may have been undone. Hopefully you will get it straight this weekend.

jasonTDI

TDI
whitedog said:
Tell the dealer to bite your hog and take your car to Madison where I believe it's "Jettah" lives. Try that username and see if he can help.
It's me doggie! Jettah is in Michigan!

He's coming to the GTG in Janseville on Sunday.

jasonTDI

TDI
chromeBuddha said:
Site renamed to TDIMatchMakersClub...
:D :D
Lot's of that lately.....

Causing me to work WAY to much. 1:30am last night. 9pm tonight.

jasonTDI

TDI
The cam seal is blown. Probably missinstalled. I'll bring some. But it might be LATE before I could change it on Sunday. I need a week to do GTG's......

amtjeff

TDI
2000 golf tdi auto
hey jason, I'll try and take care of oil leak before I come up. I took it around the block before I left for work and I had a lot more power. still not there yet. see you sunday

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I have an old white dog in my drawer... she lived to a ripe old age of 22... died chasing a statue of a squirril that we placed on the deck to taunt her.