VW2.0TDI-PD running on Rotella T 130 000miles ???

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
brumbar said:
I think the VW PD cams are good enough. You guys just worry too much. The Big Diesels PD cams are having the same stress and can last more than 800 000 miles. Mobil Delvac 5W40 doesn’t have VW 505.01 specification but I’m sure is good enough for a VW PD.

The MFR of Mobil Delvac or Rotella T don’t care so much about VW 505.01, they already have the Commercial Diesels market, why worry about some small market of VW PD owners.

As soon as the warranty of my wife New Beetle ’06 1.9TDI-PD is off, I will start using Mobil Delvac 5W40, with oil changing intervals of 5000 miles.
Dude, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The 800,000 mile number is clearly something that you just pulled out of the south end of a horse. Try doing some research before you post "facts." The Volkswagen PD engine is NOT a Caterpillar or a DDC or a Volvo rig engine. :rolleyes: It is a light-duty car engine, with a light duty cycle, and a relatively short life span compared to big diesel engines.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
kotflb said:
And even with all that straining, grunting, and 35psi turbo boost, the Mack engine still manages over a million miles on 15w40 dino or synthetic oil, without trashing the cam.
I think the VW PD cams are good enough. You guys just worry too much. The Big Diesels PD cams are having the same stress and can last more than 800 000 miles. Mobil Delvac 5W40 doesn’t have VW 505.01 specification but I’m sure is good enough for a VW PD.
Have you noticed a size at all? Is the Mack maybe a bit bigger? I thought that'd be noticeable.

There's these things called 'tolerances' and the bigger the rest of the engine, the larger these tolerances get.

You gents may notice this in your personal lives. The larger or more used a resource, the looser the tolerances. The younger or smaller the resources, the tighter the tolerances. And that's something you can feel...

1 micron vs 5 micron is 5 times larger. 5 times. Take off your wedding rings. Now try to shove every single finger through the ring at the same time. Better yet get a hydraulic press and force your finger through. Let me know how your hand fairs.

And the ***** about pressures is that the 1/A term really scales up... fast. Lim A->0 means that P -> Infinity. And as someone pointed out before.

4000 rpm is twice as fast as 2000. So for every 30k Psi event your Mack goes through, a TDI goes through twice as many. So right there we're talking about a possibility significantly more pressure occurring twice as often.

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Rabbit 2.5L No turbo
darkscout said:
Have you noticed a size at all? Is the Mack maybe a bit bigger? I thought that'd be noticeable.

There's these things called 'tolerances' and the bigger the rest of the engine, the larger these tolerances get.

You gents may notice this in your personal lives. The larger or more used a resource, the looser the tolerances. The younger or smaller the resources, the tighter the tolerances. And that's something you can feel...

1 micron vs 5 micron is 5 times larger. 5 times. Take off your wedding rings. Now try to shove every single finger through the ring at the same time. Better yet get a hydraulic press and force your finger through. Let me know how your hand fairs.

And the ***** about pressures is that the 1/A term really scales up... fast. Lim A->0 means that P -> Infinity. And as someone pointed out before.

4000 rpm is twice as fast as 2000. So for every 30k Psi event your Mack goes through, a TDI goes through twice as many. So right there we're talking about a possibility significantly more pressure occurring twice as often.

.... Don’t forget the Mack is pulling 40 000 pounds, uphill in 120 Fahrenheit some time.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
brumbar said:
.... Don’t forget the Mack is pulling 40 000 pounds, uphill in 120 Fahrenheit some time.
As it was DESIGNED to do.
And the VW should be running the right oil as it was DESIGNED to do.

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
Dude, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The 800,000 mile number is clearly something that you just pulled out of the south end of a horse. Try doing some research before you post "facts." The Volkswagen PD engine is NOT a Caterpillar or a DDC or a Volvo rig engine. :rolleyes: It is a light-duty car engine, with a light duty cycle, and a relatively short life span compared to big diesel engines.
….Hey But, you are total amateur, the CAT C-15 engine last about 1 200 000 miles, the VW dealer in my town has a Golf TDI with original 600 000 miles. Next time I will post a picture of it!!!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
How many engines has your friend designed and produced millions of?

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
darkscout said:
As it was DESIGNED to do.
And the VW should be running the right oil as it was DESIGNED to do.
... The idea is that Mobil Delvac 5W40 is Full Synthetic Oil and it has a better price than Part synthetic VW 505.01 oils. So you are getting better protection for less money.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
brumbar said:
As soon as the warranty of my wife New Beetle ’06 1.9TDI-PD is off, I will start using Mobil Delvac 5W40, with oil changing intervals of 5000 miles.
If you put so much stock in what the big rigs do, why on earth would you change D1 at a paltry 5K miles?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
brumbar said:
... The idea is that Mobil Delvac 5W40 is Full Synthetic Oil and it has a better price than Part synthetic VW 505.01 oils. So you are getting better protection for less money.
Except I doubt that the big rigs are running 5W40 Delvac. It's 'suggested' on 2007+ trucks. Most are still running Mobile 1 Delvac 15W40.

brumbar said:
….Hey But, you are total amateur, the CAT C-15 engine last about 1 200 000 miles, the VW dealer in my town has a Golf TDI with original 600 000 miles. Next time I will post a picture of it!!!
Any guesses where I work? Here's a hint... Those little wings are all full of test cells.
For diesel engines.

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
meganuke said:
How many engines has your friend designed and produced millions of?
My friend can rebuild car from a scrap, that was his hobby before, currently he has no time for this. But I remember one time, 5-6 years ago, somebody brought him a Citroen SM 1971, these people were coming out of state, because very few people know how to fix these exotic cars. He also had worked on Rolls Royce and Bentleys too.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a friend that can make interstellar rockets from old Jeep parts and washing machines. He lives in Narnia. A suburb of Chicago. :rolleyes:

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
darkscout said:
Except I doubt that the big rigs are running 5W40 Delvac. It's 'suggested' on 2007+ trucks. Most are still running Mobile 1 Delvac 15W40.

Any guesses where I work? Here's a hint... Those little wings are all full of test cells.
For diesel engines.
I just sold out one of my trucks - Freightliner Columbia 2003, the last 200 000 on Mobil Delvac 5W40. Engine was in very good condition.
I will be glad to see a real life test Mobil Delvac vs any VW 505.01 oil.

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
mparker326 said:
If you put so much stock in what the big rigs do, why on earth would you change D1 at a paltry 5K miles?

I’m changing the VW 505.01 on the same intervals 5000 miles.

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer said:
I have a friend that can make interstellar rockets from old Jeep parts and washing machines. He lives in Narnia. A suburb of Chicago. :rolleyes:

….some people never grow up :)))

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
brumbar said:

I’m changing the VW 505.01 on the same intervals 5000 miles.
Why change it twice as often? Have you done analysis to warrant changing at every 5K vs. the standard 10K miles?

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Why change it twice as often? Have you done analysis to warrant changing at every 5K vs. the standard 10K miles?

I will do analysis next time on Castrol OE Professional.

TDI
2004 golf
Brumbar, sorry, but 5k is way too short. I agree delvac is pretty much the finest oil for a PD, but even in 10k, of HARD driving, and tons of idling, my PD returned STELLAR analysis results. 17ppm of iron in 10k miles. Other members have similar results.

5k is a total waste.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Revolutionary_mind said:
Brumbar, sorry, but 5k is way too short. I agree delvac is pretty much the finest oil for a PD, but even in 10k, of HARD driving, and tons of idling, my PD returned STELLAR analysis results. 17ppm of iron in 10k miles. Other members have similar results.

5k is a total waste.
20 ppm Fe in 10K miles with Delvac-1 .
505.01 does not go back in the PD anymore. To stay with the topic though, Rotella 5W-40 will probably be as good or better than any 505.01

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
Revolutionary_mind said:

5k is a total waste.
I agree with you, but summer time, the temperatures are above 100 F around here. What about the oil filter, I haven’t seen some extended life oil filters for VW PD. Maybe I’ll just change the oil filter at 5000 miles and oil at 10000.
The big diesels can go 15-20 000 miles with this oil, but they have better Oil filtering systems and more than one oil filter.

Last edited:

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Good for 20k miles easy. If you think the filter is getting clogged up then the oil definitely ain't no good anymore. All the good oils have been proven to be good for 20k plus in the right conditions, same for filters.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mobil oil makes 505.01 oils, they just don't sell them under their own distribution network in the US. You can get it, just like you can get Bosal trailer hitches and Euro-spec lighting here.

brumbar, you cannot seem to grasp how vastly different the VAG TDI engines are than your giant OTR truck engines.

You also (like many others) seem to be unable to grasp the fact that ambient air temp has NOTHING to do with oil temps, as the oil temp just like the coolant temp is REGULATED via an oil warmer/cooler.

The PD engine does NOT have the same valvetrain as any unit injector heavy duty truck engine. The reason for the specific oil requirement is not because of the injectors directly. It is because the cam lobes that OPEN THE VALVES were reduced in width by about 30%, yet still need to opertate the same design hydraulic followers and open the same valves. You see, VAG puts the camshaft on the TOP of the engine, and its lobes drive the lifters directly.

OHC = over head cam

OHV = over head valve

All OHC engines are OHV by default.

OHV engines are NOT OHC....understand?

The VAG TDI 4 cyl engine has much more in common with a VAG gasoline engine than it does with some big Mack/Cummins/MB/CAT/DD etc. diesel. Can you grasp that? Can you grasp the fact that you are willing to use the wrong oil and change it twice as often and that is just silly?

Now this has all been quite humorous, those of us in chat are in stitches reading your posts, but enough is enough man. You are digging a hole in which you won't be able to climb out! :p

PS: are you brumbar by any chance related to a Phil Moore from Dixon, Illinois? :D

brumbar

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer said:
You also (like many others) seem to be unable to grasp the fact that ambient air temp has NOTHING to do with oil temps, as the oil temp just like the coolant temp is REGULATED via an oil warmer/cooler.

The PD engine does NOT have the same valvetrain as any unit injector heavy duty truck engine. :D

Hammer, what kind of Driver License do you have? You never drove a big truck in your life.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
What does driving a truck have to do with engine design? Are you really this dense?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Here is your original Post:

brumbar said:
Hi everybody! I have been reading this forum 2-3 months. This is my first post. Here is the story: Friend of mine has a repair shop for Commercial Trucks like Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt and etc. He also has a VW Passat 2.0 TDI-PD, I'm not sure what year, but the engine is PD - 100% sure! He is so busy with the shop and never thought that the TDI-PD required some special oil. He used only Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic for 130 000 miles!!! Because this oil is the main he uses for the Big Trucks and probably, he is getting it for a very good price. Oil and oil filter changes are done every 5000 miles, Fuel filter every 10 000 miles (The same pump-duse technology is used in commercial trucks, in order injectors to last almost 1 000 000 miles, you must change the fuel filters often, BTW big trucks have 2 fuel filters - the housing of one is clear glass, so you can see the condition.)

Anyway the motor is running excellent, he recently changed timing belt, pulley and water pump. When I told him for the special oil required for the PD engine, first he panic a little bit, but after he said: The commercial diesels using the same technology are running 800 000 miles with rotella T with no problems, if this oil is wrong the engine wouldn't pass 50 000 miles.

I will be very pleased to hear your comments on this one.
You asked for comments and received them. You may not like the answers you received but hey you asked for them. Instead of leaving it where it lay, you took those comments about what your friend is doing to his car as some type of personal attack on yourself ---- it wasn't. This post has went from your asking for commentary about a PD engine to a comparative expose on Big Rig Maintenance and now we have apparently moved onto whether someone has a Commercial License:

brumbar said:
Hammer, what kind of Driver License do you have? You never drove a big truck in your life.
Who cares what kind of license he has ..... it means nothing. It means nothing that you can turn a wrench or have turned wrenches for the last x number of years ....... Most of us have. Some of us have done it for a living also and know what we are doing. OilHammer takes it a step further. You see he works on the VW dubs professionally. He was trained by VW. You don't work on VWs Professionally and You weren't trained by VW. That is the point. So stop arguing, accept the fact that your wrong and either take corrective measures or embrace the full horror of your fail. It ain't personal. Finally, this is where your friend is at by running the wrong oil in his PD:

PS The reason your friend is running the wrong oil was explained in your postings. He buys it in bulk for his trucks. It is the meaning of penny wise and pound foolish.

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
Totally agree with you...

Dimitri16V said:
20 ppm Fe in 10K miles with Delvac-1 .
505.01 does not go back in the PD anymore. To stay with the topic though, Rotella 5W-40 will probably be as good or better than any 505.01
I use Rotella T 5w-40 Full Synthetic in my '05 PD and it now has 110K miles and still runs great! I do change my oil every 5K miles since I use Biodiesel and I buy my oil filters in bulk.

Now go ahead and flame me!:cool:

Last edited: