www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:53   #16
surfstar
Veteran Member

I wonder if its not the hill hold feature, but the clutch delay valve (CDV) that you are experiencing?
With my '16 TSI GSW, it was awful. If stopped on an incline, when loaded down with camping gear, I had to slip the clutch to the point of burning to get moving without stalling. Not related to the hill hold at all. It was the CDV delaying engagement of the clutch and not allowing power transfer fast enough to prevent stalling when starting on hills, with a heavily loaded wagon.
Removed the CDV and it acts as it should.

Not sure if the TDIs have one, but I'd wager on "yes", as 1.8 5spd do, and 2.0 GTI 6spd also do.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:01   #17
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Yes, they do have a restricted check valve in the clutch hydraulic circuit and that's on my list to remove, but it's not the issue here at all.
Instructions for removing that restriction.
http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12...l-manual-cars/
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14745
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:36   #18
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Here is the thread I started in the Ross-Tech forum about how to disable Hill Hold.
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...able-Hill-Hold
Old August 24th, 2017, 13:09   #19
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

The option is an Adaptation channel in the ABS module, and as far as I was able to tell it has 3 settings, roughly equivalent to Weak, Normal, and Strong. There is no fourth, "off" setting like in the A6.

It is still invasive but markedly less so when set to the weakest option.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 13:21   #20
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Right, I've got that adaptation set to reduce the annoyance.

I'm pretty sure it can be turned off altogether, it's all computer programming anyhow... just need for figure out how to do it.
Old August 24th, 2017, 13:23   #21
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigg3 View Post
I'm pretty sure it can be turned off altogether, it's all computer programming anyhow... just need for figure out how to do it.
Cap your brake lines at the reservoir, so they won't turn on.

But in all seriousness, this whole MQB car platform is even more annoying than the last.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 07:59   #22
giuseppe_b
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg avg

I wonder if each car comes from the factory with different settings for the hill hold. For instance, I have noticed that it disengages at the slightest attempt at movement of the car. Let out the clutch a tiny bit and tap the throttle, then put the car back in neutral and it will roll backward and the the brake pedal has full motion, not like it feels when hill hold is engaged. If I ever get access to a VAGCOM I might disable it but I don't find it to be very annoying. The reason I do this slight throttle tap action is because I cannot stand to have the car in reverse when backing down a sloped driveway. I only put it in gear IF there is any traffic coming or any reason for someone to see that I'm reversing or if the area is poorly lit. But often this is not the case so I just coast down in N to the street, and then put it in first and carry on.
I have not heard of this CDV feature, why would they have included such a thing?

Sometimes I find myself wishing I had bought an old ALH Golf or JSW with fewer of these modern features getting in the way. Or just kept my 10 Jetta.
giuseppe_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:18   #23
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigg3 View Post
Here is the thread I started in the Ross-Tech forum about how to disable Hill Hold.
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...able-Hill-Hold
In that thread is now a solution, and it works perfectly.
So pleased to not have the hill holder on my MK7!

ABS controller code
Byte 25
Reads "63" hill holder works, stock setting.
Change to "60" and hill holder is disabled.

See the Ross-Tech thread for the complete details and code.
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:25   #24
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Awesome, thanks!

And once again ross-tech kicks butt!
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:47   #25
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Yes, great folks and a great tool.

Subconsciously on slight hills I was letting off the brake and then putting it in gear, effectively defeating the hill holder. Only noticed that bad habit now that it's off and it's not necessary.

With the coding changed it's been nice driving the car without the hill holder.
I can drive it like you're supposed to drive a manual.

There are probably a few occasions when that function would be OK, and or for someone that doesn't drive a manual regularly, but otherwise not worth the trouble.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 07:11   #26
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

This is such a worthwhile thread, I thought I'd bring it to the top in case some haven't seen it.

I just did this and love the results with my 6MT. I got sick of having to remember to change technique during a standing start on a hill vs. on the flat to overcome the hill holder. After a year with it, that inconsistency would still cause me to occasionally stall on a hill start when I would forget to change my behavior, which, after 50 years of driving manuals, I've never had to do.

Whether this will re-code will make a difference probably depends on how aggressive your normal standing starts are. I like clutch engagement with the least possible throttle and RPM, so I'm the worst candidate for this feature.

This could have been an MFA-selectable option with a description that its appropriate for certain driving situations or driver's styles but not for all. VW's lawyers would have nixed that, though.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; May 22nd, 2018 at 08:07.
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 07:55   #27
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Funny, I've noticed the hill hold, but never found it to be a problem. Its kind of an odd feeling, but I've never felt like it "held" the brakes as I'm trying to accelerate. Maybe I just naturally give too much fuel and slip the clutch when I'm on a hill!

I'm surprised that VW didn't list this feature as something that could be disabled through the MFD.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:13   #28
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post

I'm surprised that VW didn't list this feature as something that could be disabled through the MFD.

Oh please, it'd just confuse people if you had access to it through the MFD, just like a million other things that should be in the MFD that arn't

Windows down with remote anyone?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 16:31   #29
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Sounds like Microsoft Windows Ten which actually is Spy-ware disguised as an operating system.

Part of MS's Windows 10 EULA should include the following:
"Since you are too stupid to know what you want, Microsoft will make those decisions for you. Do not attempt to disable any of the features Microsoft has decided you need as they will be reactivated during the next FORCED update to Window$ 10".
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; May 22nd, 2018 at 16:43.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 14:36   #30
billc508

Fuel Economy: about 48 mpg
Default just bill

I took mine to a performance shop that has the electronic equipment with the long coding program. There is a menu by which you can decrease the length of time for the hill holder or zero it out altogether. I had them zero mine out and never had trouble with it again.
billc508 is offline   Reply With Quote