GT TDI specs? Any european fan webpages?

nomad

Veteran Member
Can anyone tell me anything about the Golf GT TDI in Europe?

Would it be safe to say that it's a Golf GLX GTI but with a 110HP TDI engine instead?

Any info would be appreciated!

Sooty

Veteran Member
The GT TDI has the 110 hp engine, with firmer suspension and bigger alloy’s, I’m not to sure of standard equipment as that would depend on the age of the car.

I have no idea how it compares with the GLX GTI as I don’t know that model.

------------------

JC

6 1/2 J x 16 alloy wheel
205/55 R 16 tyres
10mm less height in the front suspension
15mm less height in the rear ... and 25% stiffer on both axis.
Electrical roof window
Climatronic air conditioning
Halogen anti-fog lights
Electrical rear mirrors ( heated )
Electronic slip diff and abs
Side airbags
Three spoke leather wheel
Recaro seats
Adjustable height in the passager seat
Front and rear arm rest

And that´s the equipament that differs from the access versions. I don´t know if the translation is correct in every item.

I can´t compare it to the GLX GTI because I don´t know it either.

colinstone

Veteran Member
I have a UK spec 1998 GT TDI. This car has the 15 inch alloys and 195/65 tyres. Suspension is not lowered. The larger alloys - 16 inch - and lowered suspension is only on the GTI 1.8 Turbo. In most countries the GT TDI is the Highline trim with the 110 bhp engine - it is called GT TDI for UK. It has sports seats, but not recaro. Otherwise elec sunroof, windows, foglights. I also have beige leather, canyon red pearl effect paint, cruise control and climatronic a/c. Will try to post a couple of pics elsewhere on the site. For more details visit the VW UK site - www.volkswagen.co.uk , or better still the VW GE site - www.vw-online.de .
The 110 is very impressive and with a Tuning box - www.tuningbox.com - produces around 140 bhp/290 nm plus 5 - 10% improved fuel economy. A very capable, refined and quiet 100 mph Grand Tourer.

sam

I have been trying to get information on the GT TDi for a while now, more specifically as to whether it is lower than the standard Golfs. Judging by the above it seems it is not.
This is unfortunate as I have heard that the standard chassis is a bit 'sloppy'. Have any drivers of the afore-mentioned beastie noticed this or does it seem to work well in the TDi setup?
Regards.

------------------
Samuel T Hodgson

colinstone

Veteran Member
Sam, It all depends what you want to do with the car. The GT TDi and standard GTi are really better described as GTs - Grand Tourers. The true GTi is the 1.8T and that has the lowered suspension etc. That said, the standard set up with the TDi remains remarkably composed and the added weight over the front wheels assists turn in. Incidentally, are you looking for a GT TDi?? - mine is up for sale.

------------------
1998 UK Golf IV GT TDI
110 bhp plus TuningBox

JC

Ok, I´ve been doing some checking on the "different" GT TDi in Europe. And here it goes. My previous post was based on info I got from a portuguese VW dealer in Portugal and Collinstone´s post speaks of a UK spec car. I´ve done a few phone calls to try to understand the differences and I found out that a European spec GT TDI does not exist.
For instance if you buy the same car in Portugal you get all that equipment I mentioned but if you buy it in France 16" wheels and Recaro seats are optional.
The difference is the price vs. the tax system. Portugal has a car tax that is roughly 50% the final price of the car and French people pay their car taxes based on the CV fiscal ( it´s their system ) and people in the UK pay high insurance rates. So to promote their cars VW dealers in Portugal enrich it with equipment
that otherwise would be optional. All manufacturers do this and I think this is the reason for the different specs.

sam

Thanks for the info 'Colinstone'.
I suppose thee is always the argument that sportier models with lower supspension etc cause more stress on components so a softer setting is perhaps better.
I would love to purchase a GT TDi but unfortunately it is a future dream. I am definitely a '5 year behind man'.