Radio issue (clicking and no reception)

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a 2005.5 Jetta with the premium system radio (satellite, etc.). The issue is the reception is horrible (if at all). Does not receive local FM stations (can barley hear) and there is a "clicking" in the drivers side front speaker in the door when you turn the radio on. Clicking goes away (slowly) when the radio is powered off. I know this is a working radio so it has to be in the wiring etc.

When I use my VagCom to run diagnostics on the radio I get the following codes:

00668 - supply voltage terminal 30
002-lower limit exceeded- intermittent

00856 - radio antenna
011-open circuit - intermittent

00821 - Antenna 2 for radio (R93)
011- open circuit - intermittent

Has anybody ever run into an issue like this?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Is it at all possible the antenna connector came loose?

I think the antenna is in the rear window, near the defrost limes. Any chance something has happened back there?

As for your speaker, because you say the noise slowly goes away once the radio is turned off would lead me to believe that channel in the amp is going or has gone out. That would necessitate repair or replacement of the headunit. Still could be something else. It is worth pulling the radio out and ensuring all the connectors are okay back there.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I double checked the connection and continuity. All were good (the antenna unit is in the rear window). As for the radio. I luckily have another 2006 Jetta that I was able to “test” the radio on. It worked fine in the other Jetta. The next thing I am going to do is swap the antenna module to see if it is that.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to clarify, when in the other car you say the radio tested fine. Does that include the speaker problem going away as well?

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Yes, there was no speaker issue in the other car. The radio worked fine (reception, speakers worked, no clicking)

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group just an update. I have checked the speakers with a 9V battery and they are good. Just for giggles I wanted to try a CD. I loaded it and tried to play and I barely could hear it out of one speaker. Could this be an amp issue?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
It could be, but from factory that is in the headunit. Have you looked for any new codes via VCDS?

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, just wanted to give an update. I found the issue. The issue was the amplifier under the drivers seat. Luckily I have another Jetta so I switched amps and bingo. Speakers work, no clicking, antenna reception good Cd works. So that was it. Unfortunately I don’t know how to test if an amp is good or not besides swapping. Hope this helps others

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you found something. I didn't realize the 2005.5 had an amp under the seat, my 2006 did not, but had the Premium VII headunit with Sat module under the back shelf.