Oil pan heater stuck to PD150 oil cooler for warm up

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
After my frost heater element fried, I was thinking of trying something slightly different & cheaper to help warm up my TDI. Recently I upgraded my oil cooler to the much larger PD150 style, I believe it's the same as the 4 motion Passat tdi oil cooler.

Before buying another frost heater for my BEW, I thought I would order a $20 250w oil pan heater ( stick on type) for my oil cooler, I'm hoping leaving it plugged in for a few hours would circulate my warm coolant the same as a frost heater. I'm not expecting it to work even 50% as well, just thought it would be interesting to try.

Can someone chime in who understands more about the coolant circulation system?

Btw I'm not trying to heat my oil here. I have another stick on heater on my oil pan. Trying to get some cheap, head heat.

Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I could not see how coolant would flow with the thermostat closed.
The heater core might get some flow.
No option for a block heater.
Personally I feel the internal oil pan heater would be the best option.
Just my 2 cents. :)

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I could not see how coolant would flow with the thermostat closed.
The heater core might get some flow.
No option for a block heater.
Personally I feel the internal oil pan heater would be the best option.
Just my 2 cents. :)
How does the thermostat open with the frost heater?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't believe there is oil in the oil cooler at rest. Would heat the coolant a tad.
Anything warm under the hood will help some

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I don't believe there is oil in the oil cooler at rest. Would heat the coolant a tad.
Anything warm under the hood will help some
Hey Bob not trying to heat the oil, I have a stick on heater on the oil pan for that. Trying to heat the coolant in the same manor as a frost heater. Just externally at a different location.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I don't understand. Why does a frost heater work then
the thermostat only controls coolant flow to the radiator... the rest of the system, block, head, oil cooler, heater core, and all the hoses aside from the upper and lower radiator hoses get warm coolant circulated ... on very cold days with the heater going, the thermstat may not open much at all

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
the zerostart style heaters work well because they heat everything except the radiator... heating a rad hose is kind of self defeating because it's attached directly to the main powertrain heat exchanger (radiator) and much of the energy input will be lost
turbotorq: the coolant will be heatsd by directly heating the oil cooler but will only have passive convection of the coolant, which may be plenty in your case

Last edited:

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
the zerostart style heaters work well because they heat everything except the radiator... heating a rad hose is kind of self defeating because it's attached directly to the main powertrain heat exchanger (radiator) and much of the energy input will be lost
turbotorq: the coolant will be heatsd by directly heating the oil cooler but will only have passive convection of the coolant, which may be plenty in your case

Ok thanks I'll try it and report back. It may be a cheap option for those not wanting a frost heater

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have oil pan pad heater, 400 watt I think. It does a decent job on the oil and indirectly on the engine coolant too. Sometimes after a couple 2-3 hours the engine GP light goes out right away.

It's thin enough to fit under the oil pan cover and I have it on a timer so it comes on by itself.

Steve

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Nice! What's the point of the silicone around the edges, does the heater not have an adhesive tear off pad

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
is the pump still working on your frost heater? if so maybe you can just stick it the frost heater's housing? ... that way you can still circulate the warmed coolant

The Zerostart heaters in the kit do not have a pump, they are convection type. Just a heating element in there.

I’ve had an element die on me, must have had an airlock in the housing; bought a replacement Zerostart & swapped the heating element instead of the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
The Zerostart heaters in the kit do not have a pump, they are convection type. Just a heating element in there.

I’ve had an element die on me, must have had an airlock in the housing; bought a replacement Zerostart & swapped the heating element instead of the whole assembly.

my bad, i thought they had an integral pump

Last edited:

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI

Your absolutely right there is no pump. I was actually surprised to find this out myself. My element burned out due to airlock. Then I got black soot circulating through my coolant. Must of been the outer skin of the element. A paper filter solved that issue quick , and also plugged off quick