Leatherette vs. Leather?

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
Fake vs. real leather? In shopping for a new VW I see leatherette, cloth and leather. My experience with fake leather dates to the 1980's and it isn't good. In 2017 how does VW's Leatherette compare Leather both in short term and long term?
Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Probably depends on the model. I don't think Golf, Jetta, or GSW are available with leather. GLI and GTI are. Passat has a combo of leather and alcantara in its trop trim level.

The pleather is fine, probably a bit hot in the summer. If it were available I"d have gone for cloth.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I was not really looking forward to the leather in my Passat. But I am pleasantly surprised that I am not sticking to the seats in very hot weather.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Leather costs more.
Leather requires more maintenance and specific cleaning/protection products.
"Pleather" is easy to clean and requires less maintenance.

I personally would always choose plastic or cloth over leather any day. I don't need to impress anybody and "luxury" is not high on my priority list when car shopping.

: 2013 JSW TDI 5M. Not one issue.
How did you find a 2013 TDI with a 5 speed?:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Leather costs more.
Leather requires more maintenance and specific cleaning/protection products.
"Pleather" is easy to clean and requires less maintenance.

I personally would always choose plastic or cloth over leather any day. I don't need to impress anybody and "luxury" is not high on my priority list when car.
Don
When you buy a slightly used car you may not have a choice!:rolleyes:

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
I purchased a new 2015 Jetta SEL TDI in 2017 and it came with leatherette, which is very nice. But, here in Houston every time I went to get into and out of my vehicle, the leatherette seemed to be holding me back - in other words, it was "grippy" and I did not slide into position wehen entering the vehicle, nor was pivoting on it a smooth process when I exited the vehicle. I felt I had to lift myself above it to change positions. The leather in my 2005 Passat was awesome, and high quality in my opinion, and I wanted to get back to that feel. So, for my 2015 Jetta, I ended up ordering the real leather cover for the Jetta (thanks to Canada offering real leather in certain Jettas, we here in the USA can order those leather covers through our VW dealers). I had the real leather installed in just my driver's seat, and although it is less grippy than the leatherette, and I am glad I had it installed, the quality of leather is no where near where it was in 2005. The leather has a dull, matte, unpolished look and feel to it instead of a higher gloss, smooth, polished surface.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Fake vs. real leather? In shopping for a new VW I see leatherette, cloth and leather. My experience with fake leather dates to the 1980's and it isn't good. In 2017 how does VW's Leatherette compare Leather both in short term and long term?
Thanks
VW's V-tex leatherette is quite good. It fools many people. I think BMW's leatherette isn't as soft as VW's.

Like leather, it does require some maintenance. My headrest V-tex on my old Passat cracked, which I blamed on my neglect.

Every month or so, I wipe down the interior of the car with an all-in-one detailer spray, which is a light cleaner with some anti-UV additives.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I just bought a 2015 TDI SEL with 100k on it and I thought it WAS leather. Still in very good condition. What are you treating/cleaning it with? I'm a big Leatherique fan, but not sure it is called for in this case.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I use Chemical Guys Inner Clean. It's light duty. Works fine on my Nav screen and instrument cluster lens (no smearing like a regular protectant).

Neglected leatherette/very dirty leatherette, vinyl, etc needs a stronger cleanser and a separate protectant/conditioner.

The steering wheel, I use a similar type product from Lexol

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon with factory leather. After 270K Miles, I am replacing the factory leather seat covers. It is a challenge due to the seat heaters, but the sides of each seat is leatherette. It looks so good that I am keeping that part of each seat and just replacing the leather elements.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I don't think Golf, Jetta, or GSW are available with leather.
They are in Canada. I've had 2 cars with VW leather (Mk IV Jetta wagon and Mk VI Golf hatch), and 2 with leatherette (B5.5 and B6 Passats).

While the leatherette looks decent, it still sucks. The leather breathes way better and is not as hot on the butt nor as sweaty.

It's one reason why my upcoming 2018 GSW 4MOTION 6-MT (delivery this coming Tuesday!) is a Trendline: cloth instead of leatherette; Highline (leather) is way out of my budget. The other reason is the pano sunroof. It's now standard on the GSW Comfortline and Highline. I've heard too many horror stories. Too bad, I don't mind a standard sunroof. For a brief time you could, in Canada, get a 2013 GSW Sportline (2.5 only) with a regular, instead of pano roof, and in 2014, a Wolfsburg with regular sunroof (TDI or 2.5), if memory serves. We did not get a 2014 Golf hatchback in Canada, only the wagon.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Leather car seats that get a lot of SUN (UV rays)

Garage kept ~~ somewhat good 10 year results. :)

Lots of SUN ~~ lots of cracks:mad:

Mom's 14 year old Honda (GARAGED) -- great :D