Brm Black black smoke, won’t drive P0131,P0101

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I have read thru the lists and can’t find an answer for this issue in any of them.

06 Jetta TDI Brm auto

I just relplqced the turbo and the car started up and ran perfect

Started it the next morning and drove it for a mile. First stop sign the car started stumbling or hesitating but then after 15mph it ran fine. Next stop sign stumbles more and black smoke then got up to speed and drove 45 mph fine. After the next stop I could never get the car up to speed again. Tons of black smoke when accelerating and car has no paper just blows smoke.

Getting a P0131 for 02 Sensor and p0101 for MAF

I’ve checked compression
I’ve checked egr valve by replacing it from my other car
I checked the MAF by switching from my other car
And I swapped my 02 sensors and still no fix

I can say when the car is cold it’s more responsive and as it gets warmer it’s smokes and responds less

Any idea what I can check ?
Can the electronic actuator be causing air meter issues ?

Help please

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The only suggestion I can think of is the fuel temperature sensor. The FTS is located in the return fuel line just to the right of oil filter housing. check the wiring for cracked and crossed wires causing intermittent shorts.

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I was wondering what that sensor was. I’ll try that.
All I can say is as the engine gets warmer the smoke gets crazier.
Do those have a tendency to go bad?
What are their symptoms?
Thanks for the suggestion

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I tried the temp sensor and no luck.
Also, tried swapping the camshaft sensor and rechecked timing

Quick add on. Original the engine had a glow plug break and bent valves and damaged the piston. All that was replaced along with a complete new head.

The compression is good on all pistons
If I unplug the turbo intercooler pipe so no boost pressure is being achieved then
The car doesn’t smoke
When I rev the car up it starts making black smog and does rev right. As the engine gets warmer then the engine smokes more and won’t acclerate almost at all under pressure.
Question
I visually inspected the injectors before reusing them but could they be damaged and be getting worse when the car heats up?

Also if I accelerate I have drops of oil come out of the exhaust?

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Another update . When I disconnect the vacuum line to the turbo the engine accelerates and responds with no smoke. When the turbo is building boost there is black smoke and it chokes itself.

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I’m going to read it but your referring to the screw mounted on the turbo not the adjustment if the actuator but the bolt it bottoms
Out on ?

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
@Jerry_T. I think your right and that’s is for sure what I’m doing tomorrow. Question
I have a vagcom and when I go to basic settings I just go to group 11 and it will tell me both values off and on? That’s the only thing I’m confused on is getting those on and off values
Thanks

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
Jakub, I'll not pretend to have all this memorized, I just stumble along till I find useful info then try to apply it.
Post #68 explains very well the info your looking.
The entire turbo set up is a pain but well worth the time. The stop is very sensitive and dialing in the actuator will test your patience Take care not to burn yourself.
Bought my '06 2 years ago with 225k on the clock, vacuum line to actuator disconnected and plugged. N75 plumbed incorrectly and egr rolling coal under the hood. Drove it from Tn to NC over the Appalachians, lots of smoke that night. Corrected boost deficiencies, egr delete, Rocket Chip tune and couldn't be happier. Now at 293k.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Yea I read the entire thing I just don’t
Fully understand the on and
Off boost readings

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
Apologies, that would be post #68.

"Start with the car up to operating temperature.
Use VCDS, Basic Settings channel 011, turn "ON" The car will slowly idle up to 1400 rpm +/-. Now the VNT is in a calibration mode.
Note the boost values when the VNT is fully closed and fully open. You are looking to unjust the to have a 80 millibar difference between off and on.
Adjusting the screw out will increase the boost spread, turning the screw in will reduce boost.
Once you have tuned this check you actuator setting. I would start with the VNT at full stroke around 18" vacuum.
After this you will have to work with your tuner to fine tune the actuator to match up to the duty cycle and logs.
After each adjustment you should rerun the channel 011 Basic Setting so the smart actuator can learn the parameters of the VNT. This will help the ECU adapt to the actuator faster than just driving around."

When you initiate this test the ECU will cycle the turbo actuator. On the screen will be displayed boost pressure. With the stop screw setting you are looking for an 80mb (minimum) spread between high and low.
From what you have described I would first turn the stop screw in 1/2 turn with the engine cold, run the test making adjustments accordingly.
You will also need a mighty-vac type device to set the actuator.
A boost gauge is helpful as well, all those dang mb numbers just confuse me when logging.
Again this job is a PITA, just be diligent and the reward of satisfaction will follow.

Another post from black smoke thread, #99
"Just for giggles I ran basic settings 011 on 5 of my current BRM inventory vehicles and all were in the range of 959-979 mbar off and 1132 -1142 mbar on. Who came up with the 80 mbar spread range? Maybe the magic range would be 100 mbar to 200 mbar spread? 80 mbar may be optimal however, none of the 5 I did were even close to 80 mbar spread and were more like 150 to 170 mbar spread. I find it hard to believe that all 5 of my cars would be that far from the proper setting, wouldn't you agree? Later!"

Last edited:

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Alright thanks for the help. Yes it was the stop screw so thank you so much for the suggestion and the help. That took forever. Much appreciated

BrettM

TDI
'06 Jetta, ‘13 JSW
Impressive! Post#99 spooked me! I'd better get mine checked as my white '06 is now getting a sooty back bumper. Running great otherwise. More to follow...