TDI to Ford Ranger Swap.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Okay I am asking behalf of my cousin. He would like to swap an ALH in to his Ranger. If anyone has any info or where to start that would be great. He has the Engine and Vehicle just looking for a place to start.

83stang

TDI
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
I started gathering parts and information for this swap, but due to just buying a house it's kind of on the back burner for a bit, but i'll get to it eventually! But essentially what I have come up with to do this swap is to redrill the 4 cyl 2.3 ranger flywheel to the VW pattern. The V6 flywheel won't work the pattern is too small you don't have enough room to drill the VW pattern into. I learned this by the wrecker giving me the wrong flywheel.

The next thing you need to do is to find a needle bearing which fits into the back of the VW and has an ID the same as the input shaft of the ranger transmission. OR you can just make it out of bearing bronze. But I would prefer to find a needle bearing for reliability.

Then you need to put the two together and measure the distance between the bellhousing and the back of the VW to size thickness of the adapter plate. Then drill the adapter plate to the VW. Bolt it onto the VW put the tranny and engine back together and transfer punch the Rangers bellhousing pattern onto the plate. Take it out and drill and and put it together. Then you need to drill out a hole for the starter.
Or you can lay out the pattern of the ranger bellhousing on the plate by measuring it and drill it out accurately on a mill.

Then the wiring of the engine your kind of on your own with.

But that's what I've collected so far by looking at the parts and measuring out. Still need to find a good donor vehicle.

Hope that helps. If you guys do it post the build!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
The next thing you need to do is to find a needle bearing which fits into the back of the VW and has an ID the same as the input shaft of the ranger transmission. OR you can just make it out of bearing bronze. But I would prefer to find a needle bearing for reliability.
I would actually prefer a bronze bushing or a sealed roller in this instance....the needle bearings tend to eat up the input shaft pilot surface....happens alot in fords, and there is actually a bronze retrofit to remedy the issue....I used inline skate bearings for my pilot but a bronze would have worked as well...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would actually prefer a bronze bushing or a sealed roller in this instance....the needle bearings tend to eat up the input shaft pilot surface....happens alot in fords, and there is actually a bronze retrofit to remedy the issue....I used inline skate bearings for my pilot but a bronze would have worked as well...

I'd call it an epidemic on Mazda R5 equipped Fords... and it tooefs the transmission's input shaft when it does! :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The trick is to press the clutch pedal in as seldom as needed. So long as the clutch is engaged, the crankshaft and the input shaft are spinning as one, so the pilot bearing is just along for the ride. It only spins that bearing when there is a difference in shaft speeds, which only happens when the clutch is disengaged. So people that sit at a stop light for 30 seconds with their foot on the clutch, are going to wipe that bearing out MUCH faster than a guy who leaves the trans in nuetral and foot off the clutch until the light turns green.

I've learned that many people CAN drive a manual in as much as they can make the vehicle move and not stall the engine, but they do not always know how to operate one properly that will allow for long component life. Many of my friends are always shocked I am able to tow so many heavy loads with small Japanese 4cyl pickups and VW Transporters without breaking anything. ;)

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
It also doesnt help that the ZF650 t/O bearing is loud it makes you want to push the clutch in.

All in all its ok, Ive driven the truck 2k in a year. I dont even know why I have it at this point