Time to replace all coil springs - 2000 tdi

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
My Jetta is sagging in all 4 corners. Any recommendations on springs? I do not want to lower the vehicle. I have Bilstien TC struts that are still good. Car has 245K on it. Any recommendations? I noticed some have used the VR6 springs? Can these be used on all 4 corners? any hardware that needs updating? Thanks for any imput. I've got to do brakes all around also, so time to do it all, rear axle bushings, rear brake lines, ect... to much to do, no time. :D

TDI
None
Look for MOOG springs through Napa/Carquest or RockAuto, your best bet unless you want to spend $$$ on OE VR6 springs. They have a much higher spring rate than the stock and they're recommended for all Jettas.

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
Is there anything special about taking the rear springs off? Does anything else need to come off or be replaced? Ok, I didn't look at my manual yet. Just trying to get parts ordered.
thanks

TDI
None
The rears are the easy part. The front takes some patience, a spring compressor, strut spreader, and top nut tool. Definitely review the repair procedure before you attempt anything. You may also consider replacing the rear axle bushing as yours has so many miles. Make sure you replace all the mounts/bearings and get the installation bolt kit. If you feel its too big of a job, call up Jason TDI up in Madison and he'd knock it out in no time for you.

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
Ausg., Thanks for the info. Jason does my timing belts. I do have the axle bushings, been sitting in the cabnet for the last year waiting for some time to open up. Now, that I have to get into it, I think it is time. spring, bushing, stainless rear brake lines, new rotors, pads. Fronts, I did the struts when I got the car, but its been awhile. :) re-did the strut bearings last year as they were wore out. struts still good. Thanks for the input.

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
Here's a question for you, I've got the rear axle procedure printed out, just have study some more before getting the bolts/ect to pull out the bushing. When taking the axle bolts out, does the springs end up hanging loose, poping out? I could never tell from the procedure if that happens? do you have to put strut compressors on? ect... thanks

TDI
None
When you take the shock bolts out, they should be fairly loose, not sprung like the front ones. I'd put a jack under the center of the axle and slowly lower down to take the springs out just in case.

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
Ah, now i got it. I think when I did the struts, i remember the springs just barely hanging in there. Prefect time to change when doing the axle bushings. How long does it take you to do it? Have you? also, any tips, of just follow the procedure? thanks

TDI
None
Takes about 30min to do the springs/struts if you're cruising. Haven't done a rear axle bushing replacement yet as I'm dreading it....needs to be done on my Jetta as well. Saving the funds for a complete suspension refresh, but bike projects come first :)

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
When doing rear axle bushing support beam with jack or tranny jack if you're doing them in the car. You'll need to undo brake line clips so they have room.

Depending on what tools you have most folks end up dropping the whole beam which makes it a big job. Brake bleeding and all but if you may redo the brakes anyways it doesn't matter.

If your local guru doesn't have a good tool I have one I rent and sell that lets you do the install easily with the beam in the car.

morphous_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Frank06 Stage 2, Malone Stage 2 Custom, and PD140 Turbo
daves,

Can you explain what this tool is that you have for doing axle bushings? I am getting ready to do this job and I would appreciate advice and help. I plan to do the car on a lift using tranny jack. I will also be doing rear brakes as well. I have hear all kinds of fun stories about the rear bearing. I have hear about stock and boraparts talks about a upgraded one. You have anything to shed additional light?

Thanks,

Morph