Service light reset

Ramsey1899

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Do I need a tool to reset the "service now" message that comes on in the Driver's Information Center? I have a 2001 Golf TDI and had the oil changed at a "quick lube joint" and they could not reset the light. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ramsey

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
No tool needed, from the 17-page thread on Service intervals found in the upgrade section:

LOL! Lito, you'll be up on your chatspeak in no time!

Anyway, Lito asked me about this, so I thought I'd post it. If you have your cluster coded for the service interval and a service interval alert comes up on your cluster, you can reset it without using VAG-COM. Here's how:

Put the key in the OFF position. Push and hold the tripmeter button (the one on the right by the speedometer). While holding the button, turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the car. The display will say "service" (stock) or "SERVICE NOW" (MFI) depending on your cluster. Release the tripmeter button. Then turn the clock button (on the left by the tach) to the right one click. This will reset whatever service interval has been displayed, and your display will then go back to normal. Switch off the ignition. Note that if you want to change the values of the interval, such as mileage or time, you must do this with VAG-COM.

Incidentally, in case you didn't read the ross-tech page, channel 45 adaption is for oil quality. If you have an oil sensor, enter 4 for diesel, 2 for gas, and 1 if you would rather use time- or distance-dependent service intervals rather than the flexible service interval.

-Brian
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=367011&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I have a 2001 Golf TDI and had the oil changed at a "quick lube joint" <<

Please update your profile to indicate your location... (if you're in England, for instance, our replies would be different...)

What type of oil did they use at this "quick lube joint" ???

There are some oils to avoid!!

As for the light... you need to read the code stored in the car's computer to find out why it came on... for that you need a special cable and software...

Yuri.

Ramsey1899

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I normally use Aral SuperTronic Longlife II SAE 5W-40 for PD diesel engines, but at EUR25.00 (yes, that's about $30.00 a) quart - so a dealer oil change would usually cost me about EUR110.00 (about $150.00)! Therefore I decided to purchase oil online and have a quick lube place do the work. Since the warranty is no longer valid I felt comfortable switching to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. So far the results have been satisfactory and the engine seems a little quieter as well.

Ramsey1899

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks tongsli!! It worked like a charm!

I did a search before posting this question but did not find anything!

Thanks again!

Ramsey

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
No problem, now you know where the mega-monster Service Interval thead lives!

You can also do this via vag-com

Lito

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Aha... Deutschland!! Alles Klar...

Is your engine a Pumpe Düse ??? If yes, then the Mobil Truck & SUV may not be the best oil out there... if not, it's perfect !!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen!

Yuri.

thortdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Octavia Wagon
Yo Ramsey

was sagen denn die Leutchen beim Dieselschrauber zum Öl in D-Land ?
Mobil1 ist recht gut, Shell Rotella auch, und ELF, und und und .... sollte kein Problem sein was passendes zu finden.

Tschö wa !