Post Fix Gen1 Code P2002

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
6 months into the fix and got the CEL. Brought to Dealer and after 1h they determined code P2002, Particle Trap below threshhold.
They did a manual regeneration.
Off I went all clear.
60 miles later the CEL is on again. Car back in the shop, they provided me with a Tiguan Loaner.
My TDI has a total of 60300 miiles only. The "Fix" was done at 55000 miles.
Any hints? Should all be covered under the extended warranty now, No?

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
Any resolution to this? I'm fighting about DFP warning light on, Check engine light on. Root cause looks to be cooling fans so they say it isn't covered.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Of course it's not covered LOL. You can't make up this stuff. It's covered until you need help. You are suppose to have 10 yr full coverage on the engine and emissions equipment.

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
So they replaced the DPF 3 months ago as instructed by VW.
Now 3 months 7000 miles later the same CEL again Dealer says same code P2002. They claim the cause could be the K&N Filter intake. BS I say. Its just a filter from K&N not the entire air intake system replacement.
They are running tests again.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So they replaced the DPF 3 months ago as instructed by VW.
Now 3 months 7000 miles later the same CEL again Dealer says same code P2002. They claim the cause could be the K&N Filter intake. BS I say. Its just a filter from K&N not the entire air intake system replacement.
They are running tests again.

Then why don't you do this......dump that stupid K&N and motor on and see what happens in the future. That will take that useless filter out of the equation. It's not doing you any good anyway. I can't believe how many people come here and tell the community here that they use a K&N intake or filter, any kind of a search here will inform you that that thing is crap.

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Then why don't you do this......dump that stupid K&N and motor on and see what happens in the future. That will take that useless filter out of the equation. It's not doing you any good anyway. I can't believe how many people come here and tell the community here that they use a K&N intake or filter, any kind of a search here will inform you that that thing is crap.
I agree it does not do anything, I did it to not keep replacing the paper filter as often and just re-use the K&N (less maintenance). That was the idea. Not power or better mpg.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I agree it does not do anything, I did it to not keep replacing the paper filter as often and just re-use the K&N (less maintenance). That was the idea. Not power or better mpg.
It also allows more particulate dirt and dust into your intake and turbo. The community here calls it dusting. I really don't understand how K&N can sell this POS and they are making a killing on PT Barnum quote a sucker is born every day. OE paper filters are cheap and you don't need to wash them let dry and re-oil from a cleaning kit that they would also like to sell you.

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
It also allows more particulate dirt and dust into your intake and turbo. The community here calls it dusting. I really don't understand how K&N can sell this POS and they are making a killing on PT Barnum quote a sucker is born every day. OE paper filters are cheap and you don't need to wash them let dry and re-oil from a cleaning kit that they would also like to sell you.
Thanks, I just searched on it here on the forum. Great points, would have never believed it, but seems the TDI is different then the gasser cars.
I tell the dealer to place the Paper filter back in then.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
but seems the TDI is different then the gasser cars.

No, the TDI is not different when it comes to poorly filtered intake air. Nobody whether its a gasser or a diesel wants that particulate mater ingested by their engine. There are many turbocharged gassers too. Crap in the intake air also usually shows up in oil analysis as silicon. Silicon is an engine wear element. (Dieselkraut this is not directed to you) So for all you K&N filter freaks out there as been said many times here before. It's you car and if you believe a K&N air filtration system is cool so be it.

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Reporting back: Tests were inconclusive (even with the paper filter they installed) the dealer escalated the case to VW .

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
NEW: Call from VW Quote: Need to replace EGR and DPF (under warranty) Air Meter is damaged due to K&N Filter cost $288 not covered.

Now I assume by Air meter they mean the Mass Air flow sensor?
This is BS I think that the K&N damaged the sensor?

Any input / advise? Thanks

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If you put too much oil on the K&N that is exactly what happens. The MAF is quite sensitive to getting an oil and debris film on it. They might be able to clean it or you might just need to replace it.

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
If you put too much oil on the K&N that is exactly what happens. The MAF is quite sensitive to getting an oil and debris film on it. They might be able to clean it or you might just need to replace it.
This is a BRAND NEW K&N filter out of the box NEVER washed or re-oiled, barely 3 months in the car less than 5K mi.
Spoke to K&N CS was told they want the MAF for testing and if true will cover the repair cost. There is less than 1oz of oil in the filter. Most likely the turbo oil.
I fight with the VW dealer, besides I have to see a print out of the Error codes (with proof of a MAF code malfunction). P2002 does not call for a damaged MAF!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
This is a BRAND NEW K&N filter out of the box NEVER washed or re-oiled, barely 3 months in the car less than 5K mi.
Spoke to K&N CS was told they want the MAF for testing and if true will cover the repair cost. There is less than 1oz of oil in the filter. Most likely the turbo oil.
I fight with the VW dealer, besides I have to see a print out of the Error codes (with proof of a MAF code malfunction). P2002 does not call for a damaged MAF!

Well,
What sez that the factory new in the box doesn't contain to much oil and coat the MAF and make it malfuntion? In this case, I would side with the dealer, not the smoke and magic K&N company. They have been misrepresenting their products for years.

Good Luck!:)

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Got on the phone with the dealer:
According to TSB - 2035641-3 No Mesh Air Filter shall be used as it can cause MAF to malfunction.

No Error code was found that calls a faulty MAF however they performed different measurements with the OLD K&N and original MAF and got a "Readout"
Then they replaced the MAF and new VW OEM Filter and got a different "Readout"
Therefore they blame it on the K&N filter.
I told them to move fwd and replace both, my cost $288

It should be VW's responsibility to inform consumers NOT to replace the Air filter with a Mesh filter and that it is NOT covered under warranty!

Can anybody look up TSB - 2035641-3 I cant seem to find it.
Thanks

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
It should be VW's responsibility to inform consumers NOT to replace the Air filter with a Mesh filter and that it is NOT covered under warranty!
It has never been any carmakers responsibility to warn you against using specific non-OE parts. That is the responsibility of the non-OE part manufacturer. Many owners manuals state "only use genuine manufactures parts" and that covers a lot of ground. If for say you replace the OE shocks with aftermarket and you break a suspension component it will not be covered under warranty.
Manufacturers set a spec for the part or fluid (oil etc). If you choose to use non 507 spec oil and your dpf has a shortened lifespan that is your problem, not VW's All being said the manufacturer has to prove that the non-OE part caused harm. Which in this case I think they did. Take your battle to K&N, not VW.;)

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
It has never been any carmakers responsibility to warn you against using specific non-OE parts. That is the responsibility of the non-OE part manufacturer. Many owners manuals state "only use genuine manufactures parts" and that covers a lot of ground. If for say you replace the OE shocks with aftermarket and you break a suspension component it will not be covered under warranty.
Manufacturers set a spec for the part or fluid (oil etc). If you choose to use non 507 spec oil and your dpf has a shortened lifespan that is your problem, not VW's All being said the manufacturer has to prove that the non-OE part caused harm. Which in this case I think they did. Take your battle to K&N, not VW.;)

[FONT=&quot]Did you know that VW with what you said is then in breach of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts[/FONT]
“Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”
[FONT=&quot]https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
[FONT=&quot]Did you know that VW with what you said is then in breach of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts[/FONT]
“Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”
[FONT=&quot]https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts[/FONT]
No, it didn't Mag-Moss Warranty does not cover aftermarket parts that are not of the OE Manufacturer spec
If said aftermarket part is not to OE spec, for example, an aftermarket tune that is not to VW spec it is in no way covered by Magg-Moss..Lowering springs, aftermarket exhaust and on an on it goes have no Magg-Moss protection. Now if you had used an aftermarket paper filter made to OE spec you would have a case.
Many aftermarket part suppiers are also OEM suppiers. K&N is not. All Mag-Moss states is that you don't have to buy the part from the original manufacturer.

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
No, it didn't Mag-Moss Warranty does not cover aftermarket parts that are not of the OE Manufacturer spec
If said aftermarket part is not to OE spec, for example, an aftermarket tune that is not to VW spec it is in no way covered by Magg-Moss..Lowering springs, aftermarket exhaust and on an on it goes have no Magg-Moss protection. Now if you had used an aftermarket paper filter made to OE spec you would have a case.
Many aftermarket part suppiers are also OEM suppiers. K&N is not. All Mag-Moss states is that you don't have to buy the part from the original manufacturer.

Please point me to where this is written?

Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the
original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny
coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that
the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another
part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for
that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the
aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

A TSB is NOT proof of fault, its a mere recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles.
PROOF would be the ACTUAL Fault code for the MAF! And they don't have that. (i.e. P0101 calls for malfunctioning MAF)

I thank you for your feedback and replies, don't take it personal please. I value everyones feedback and opinion. At the same token, I NEED to see PROOF before shelling out $$$

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Are you a Representative / Agent / Employee of VW or VW of America? Or a Representative / Agent / Employee of any other car manufacturer?
FYI: I'm a attorney at law.

Hell no!!!!!!!!..........I'm a retired manufacturing engineer from GKN Sinter Metals. My main product line was the production of Main Bearing Caps for GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mazda, and Nisson. I went on to play a major role in managing the preventative maintenance program for an aluminum foundry (Pace Ind). I bought all kinds of parts for diecast machines so I know a bit about Mag-Morr warranty. Now I'm just a retired person of reasonable intelligence that drives a VW Passat. Your an attorney at law so is my stepdaughter and she has no clue about the Mag-Mor. Go ahead sue VW for not having a preemptive warning to the consumer about K&N air filters and $288.00. I wish you well. :rolleyes: I'm sure you will have to use K&N as a key witness....good luck with that. They already told you they would cough up the cost of your MAF sensor, that is the easy way out for them and satisfy the customer without court action. Too many smart ass attorneys in this world anyway. Have a great day.

Last edited:

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Essentially per the TSB - 2035641-3
I have a copy of it (courtesey of K&N) it states "... Only use factory Airfilters. ...The use of after market Airfilters is not supported..... "

Therefore under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the FTC has ruled
those parts or services are provided free of charge

Essentially VW MUST provide FREE Airfilters while under this NEW Warranty!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The dealer can say not covered all the way until you get to court and get a judgement against them. Good luck with that. You are never going to see proof from the dealer, VW or K&N. More than likely you won't even be able to find a lawyer to take the case. They will just laugh at you and tell you to pay the $288 and sop doing that.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The dealer can say not covered all the way until you get to court and get a judgement against them. Good luck with that. You are never going to see proof from the dealer, VW or K&N. More than likely you won't even be able to find a lawyer to take the case. They will just laugh at you and tell you to pay the $288 and sop doing that.

You missed a bit here he sez he is a lawyer so I guess his time is worth $288.00.

Edit if diesetkraut had done his homework in this community he would not be in this sinking boat in the first place.:eek:

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Essentially per the TSB - 2035641-3
I have a copy of it (courtesey of K&N) it states "... Only use factory Airfilters. ...The use of after market Airfilters is not supported..... "

Therefore under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the FTC has ruled
those parts or services are provided free of charge

Essentially VW MUST provide FREE Airfilters while under this NEW Warranty!
Those 10 dollar air filters are certainly not gonna break VW's bank! Keep pursuing' it. They will be doing you a favor by not letting you allow all that crap that a K&N allows to enter your intake.

Dieselkraut

TDI
SOLD
Those 10 dollar air filters are certainly not gonna break VW's bank! Keep pursuing' it. They will be doing you a favor by not letting you allow all that crap that a K&N allows to enter your intake.

I like that if they admit to providing FREE Airfilters during the warranty period.

And yes the $288 is worth it as I am a attorney taking VW to court and its not just for the $288 there is a LOT MORE this is just another discovery AFTER ALL the modifications VW did.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I like that if they admit to providing FREE Airfilters during the warranty period.

And yes the $288 is worth it as I am a attorney taking VW to court and its not just for the $288 there is a LOT MORE this is just another discovery AFTER ALL the modifications VW did.
Maybe you can get a little pain and suffering too.:D

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I guess your time ain't worth nothin' I could spend that on a dinner and a stage show for two easy and never look back.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
NEW: Call from VW Quote: Need to replace EGR and DPF (under warranty)
Any input / advise? Thanks
Here is the biggie according to that statement VW will replace your EGR and DPF. So now you are quibbling about the K&N filter and MAF. Do you know what that is worth? Way more than your 288 buck MAF sensor. Have a nice life. Buy a different car.........say Honda and put a K&N air filter so you can save a couple of bucks.:eek:

Last edited: