Door seal leak?

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Dodge Ram 2500, 2k Golf
Hey All,

It seems that I have a bit of a leak on the rear drivers door of my Golf. Has been good as long as I have had it, but a couple weeks ago the floor board had a good couple of inches in it after a good rain.

I thought that maybe the door was left open, and didn't think much of it. Well, it rained most of last night, and when I hopped in to go to work, figured I better check...sure enough, there is a good inch of water in the floor board. The seat is also wet, so I figure it is coming from the top, and not from the bottom up.

I shot a picture of the headliner, and of the one seal that looks bad...all the other seals appear to look good, but I must confess that I haven't done a lot of work with door seals. The one with the spot out of it has been that way for over a year, and hadn't leaked, but I figure that can't be good.

Would anyone care to take a guess if this damaged seal is the one doing the leaking, or do I need to look further?

Thanks for any help!

Here are the pictures I took....This first one is of the headliner, and the second is of the seal with the fiber on it.

plnienaber

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
That top seal is most likely not the one causing your problem. The other seal in the picture should be the one that needs replacement. Had the same problem with my 00 jetta. New seals from ECS Tuning and now no more water dripping on my knee.

Paul

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that seal is the one I should be looking at, but from what I can seem it looks ok...obviously, there is something that I can't see.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
The inner seal around the door opening may not need to be replaced, just pushed -hard- on to the metal. On my Golf's hatch, I had to remove the rubber seal to work on something, and when I put it back on, I thought it was on but it wasn't. The bottom (body-side) of the rubber was not making contact with the body, it was raised up maybe 1/8". Pushing hard on the rubber forced it on the metal edge and seated it properly - no more gap.

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it does a sunroof...took a quick look at the drains, and they appear to be good, but now that it isn't raining today, will try to get a better look to be sure they are clean.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Yes, it does a sunroof...took a quick look at the drains, and they appear to be good, but now that it isn't raining today, will try to get a better look to be sure they are clean.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Park your car on a slight incline with the front part up. Open sun roof. Take a pitcher of water and pour into the channel of the back passenger's side drain.

See if it leaks.

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't know there was rear drains....that may explain it!

Where do they dump out?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't know there was rear drains....that may explain it!

Where do they dump out?
Right behind the rear bumper. Real PITA. I'm not sure if you can reach up from below to feel them.

Look here this guy has a GTI. Our Jetta Wagon is behind the rear wheel on the side. Obviously, the Golf is shorter.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5032173-DIY-More-sunroof-drain-maintenance

Here's another good URL
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2115848-Golf-GTI-Rear-Sunroof-Drain-Fix-DIY

Could be leaking from the rear drains or the tube is disconnected

Last edited:

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to say thank again! The rear drain tube came off the sunroof nipple, and was pouring right onto the headliner.

At this time, I am very short in time, so I pushed it back on real good, but I plan to run better lines on both sides when I get a bit more time.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just wanted to say thank again! The rear drain tube came off the sunroof nipple, and was pouring right onto the headliner.

At this time, I am very short in time, so I pushed it back on real good, but I plan to run better lines on both sides when I get a bit more time.
I need to do the same with my wife's jetta wagon :( It's not leaking as much as yours but it is getting the seat belt wet.

I don't have a sunroof on my car and am glad that I don't.

When you fix yours, can you post some pictures here? or somewhere?

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I could... I plan on doing the fix very much like the link you gave. Only thing different that I am going to try to do is connect the new hose to the old, and pull it through the original routing, so I don't have to try to sneak a piece through a small hole.

There are very few days that I enjoy this sunroof.....

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess I could... I plan on doing the fix very much like the link you gave. Only thing different that I am going to try to do is connect the new hose to the old, and pull it through the original routing, so I don't have to try to sneak a piece through a small hole.

There are very few days that I enjoy this sunroof.....
Cool, sounds like a good plan. My last VW had a sunroof and I feel the same way you do. I used it very rarely.

When you get to this point, you should pull the rubber piece out, and cut the nipple before you re install the new hose.

So it flows like this one. The nipple is cut in this picture. You should be able to remove and re install from inside the car

Good luck!

Last edited:

wingrider02

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, was able to pull mine from the inside, and cut the tip...just need to get to the passenger rear one and then they will all be cut.