Archiving information on Ian Dawson's V10 TDI LMP1 cars

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm creating an archive for any and all available information on both of Ian Dawson's attempts at a privateer LMP1 diesel entry - the Taurus Sports Racing Lola B2K/10, which ran in the 2004 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 2004 1000 km of Silverstone, and the ECO Racing Radical SR10, which ran in the 2008 Monterey Sports Car Championships.

I'll try to update this thread with an index of what I've got archived, as well as put that index in the folder.

For now, it'll be at: http://bhtooefr.org/v10tdilmp

I've got the following content in there, now:

2004 24 Hours of Le Mans
24 Heures du Mans - Perkins
Black smoke heralds a change at Le Mans - Auto Technology, 6/2004
Diesels are boring - Racecar Engineering, 6/2004

2004 1000 km of Silverstone
Silverstone 1000km LMES race - August 2004 - Perkins

2008 Monterey Sports Car Championships
Video of ECO Racing car attempting to roll out onto the grid - original source: Satsc2 on YouTube

Other
V10 Diesel Engine for Le Mans - MTZ worldwide, 7-8/2005 (discusses the Taurus Sports Racing car, in comparison to a Ricardo-Judd V10 diesel project)
GrouPBio LMP1 Diesel Testing at Snetterton 2006 1 of 3 - original source: johnyardley on YouTube
GrouPBio LMP1 Diesel Testing at Snetterton 2006 2 of 3 - original source: johnyardley on YouTube
GrouPBio LMP1 Diesel Testing at Snetterton 2006 3 of 3 - original source: johnyardley on YouTube

If you've got any content about these cars to contribute - videos, pictures, writeups, articles, anything - let me know, I'd like to archive it, before it gets lost. (I already lost a video of the Taurus Sports Racing car that I had saved a few years back, and it's disappeared off the internet... grr...)

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Thanks!

Something interesting to note about these cars... AFAIK, they're the only privateer diesel cars that weren't previously run as factory cars at Le Mans or a Le Mans-inspired event (ELMS/LMES/LMS, ILMC, AmLMS, JSPC/JLMC/AsLMS, etc., etc.)

(Kolles runs Audi R10s as a privateer, and Oreca ran a Peugeot 908 in 2010 as a privateer, but as the R10 and 908 were both previously run as factory cars... And, both Delettrez and MAP were manufacturers - Delettrez converted ex-war GMC gasser straight-6s to diesel for trucks, and used Le Mans to promote those engines, and MAP designed their own opposed piston with rocker beam engine for their tractors, and used Le Mans to promote those engines.)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
While looking for more info on the Delettrez entry, I stumbled on something saying that "groupBio" was going to enter the 2006 24 Hours, and compete against Audi.

Wait, who's this groupBio?

For 2006, Ian Dawson decided to rename Taurus Sports Racing to groupBio, with a goal of running biodiesel. Their Lola B2K/10 was converted to hybrid spec to meet 2006 regulations. As far as I know, they didn't compete in a single race... but... there are videos of the groupBio car testing at Snetterton. Adding those to the collection...

johnyardley