Tb Tensioner

flycut

TDI
03 bug
I got tb chg at tdc but ever time i adjust tensioner it pops out of the holder and it appears the arm that catchs the holdernotch bends when you tension it . what am i doing wrong? the tensioner is from tdiparts.com so i would think it is me not the tensioner. please help.

flycut

TDI
03 bug
nut is just snug with wrench tensioner will turn but is hard to turn clockwise. when it gets close to marks lineing up it pops out of holder. shauld nut be tighter?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You should be able to see the stud a turn or so sticking through the nut.

Is there a small brass colored box in the plastic cover where the arm goes? If not you need to replace the backing plate. NOT doing this WILL cause a FAIL!!!! to happen in short order.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
try loosening it...it should be no more than finger tight. The hole that it engages in on the backing plate isnt all goobered-up is it? Also make sure you have the belt routed correctly and that you dont have any slack anywhere. A tooth or two of slack could make it hard to tension.

Are you following the PDF instructions to the letter?

flycut

TDI
03 bug
I will look tonight after work for brass colored box. i think it there but better to double ck . how hard should it be to adjust as in lot of force on pin wrench or not

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I will occasionally receive a tensioner that has the arm for the tang bent a little bit. Probably occurred in shipping somewhere.

A TINY tweak on the tang arm with a pair of pliers will ensure the tang fits securely in the window in the backing plate. You want to do this with the tensioner off the stud and in your hand. Just enough so the tang securely goes into the window.

Also, make sure that the tensioner you received is for an ALH. If you have a 1Z/AHU tensioner, will not fit correctly. Ditto one for a BEW or BRM. Correct tensioner is 038 109 243N part number.

Last edited:

flycut

TDI
03 bug
I followed ebahn and post on this site . it at tdc and when i thought the tensioner was set i rolled engine over about 10 time and it would come back to tdc perfect. just not sure how hard it should be to turn tensioner . with nut little more than finger tight it was very hard to adjust as in pin wrech wants to rip out holes in tensioner. i must have something wrong .

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
you have either got a bad plate or it's bent. When tensioning, if it's real hard to turn then you have the nut too tight.

flycut

TDI
03 bug
Thanks for info from the gurus . found i put tensioner in wrong the cam part of it was upside down turn it around and work great and car is running good thaks again .