www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 28th, 2008, 03:36   #1
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default Crash Sensor Replacement

Thanks for all the help and direction from the club, I have successfully installed the passenger airbag sensor in my wifes 2002 Golf TDI. I want to give a quick write-up on how to replace this unit as there is not a lot of info currently on TDI Club.

1. Remove front seat. This is done by popping off two circular plastic covers located on the back of the seat rails and unscrewing the phillips head screw on each corresponding side.
2. Remove the plastic covers that you just took the screws out of that will expose the seat rail.
3. Crawl under the front seat and unbolt the two nuts at the front. I believe they are 13 or 14mm.
4. Slowly slide the seat backwards and you will see either two or three connectors under the seat. Unclip them, and then unclip the wires fron the bottom of the seat.
5. Slide the seat all the way back once you have the wires free and tip backwards when the wheels clear the rails.
6. Take seat out of the car.
7. Now you have to pop up the plastic pieces that run along the bottom of the door jamb. Simply and easily lift up on the plastic the runs on the bottom parallel with the rocker panel. There are four or five clips holding this in. This will come up and is connected to the front plastic piececloser to where you put your feet.
8. You need to pop the front plastic piece towards the center console. When you get this far, you can separate the two pieces. (The rocker panel piece will not be totally removed, only popped up and out of the way. The front smaller piece will be removed.) There is a little plastic clip holding them together. (You will see what I mean when you get it apart)
9. Once you have the seat out and the two plastic pieces up you will begin slowly pulling the carpet towards the center of the car. You need to work it out from under the plastic. Be careful not to break any plastic trim while doing this.
10. When you get the carpet back it will expose the air bag sensor on the floor just in front of the cross member. It is held in by two hex nuts. 4 or 5mm I believe. Unscrew them and then release the connector by pushing the button down and pulling away.
11. Replace the sensor and reverse the procedure.

All in all, this was not a difficult procedure to do. It took me about an hour and a half start to finish. I would like to note that I disconnected the battery during this procedure and also cleared the air-bag code when I was done. I hope this helps someone that has a faulty sensor.
Frank