5 speed tranny issues please HELP!!!!

levit99

TDI
the ****ty one
its an on and off problem. wont shift into any gear no matter how many times i pump the clutch. sometimes works like clockwork without any issues at all. the only way to get it into gear is to turn the engine off and start the car with the tranny in first gear. odd thing is that it goes in and out of gear smoothly when the engine is not opperating.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thank you

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Of course if we knew your general location, someone may be able to stop by and give you a hand. As it is, no one can help with anything hands on.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Could just be the shift linkage needs to be adjusted. Wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level in the trans either.

On the bright side, you can still at least select gears! I couldn't when this happened to me last weekend:

The gear selector did NOT feel normal when that happened. You could move the lever anywhere you wanted to. Couldn't feel a gate or anything.

I popped the hood, saw that, went back into the car, grabbed a screwdriver and managed to pry it into third gear and drove home like that... only in third gear.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
heh heh heh.. Mine did the same thing a few months ago, I was pulling into the parking lot at work when it broke so I lucked out.. I made a little thingy out of steel so that won't happen again... It's weird I have the Mk4 body style but the Mk3 shift linkage... There's a few other things with the car that seem to be from the Mk3's too.. I guess it's a 99.5 thing..

Sounds like there's some air getting into the clutch circuit somewhere and the clutch isn't fully releasing..